Ardisam Earthquake Splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
In my round the clock, obsessive research to find a splitter I have now turned up a new one. It is the Ardisam Earthquake.
12 tons, 196cc engine. Even has tandem hitch so you can pull a trailer behind the splitter.

I realize the power is on the low side but it several steps up from the little electric ones. Price starts at $799. Just curious if anyone know anything about them. Only one review found on line.

or

Northern's Powerhorse Dual Split. 20 tons. Cuts going either direction. 208cc. 4 inch cylinder. 9 gpm pump.
Not sure how how sturdy this will be. Instead of the wedge being pushed against the foot, this double edged wedge rides on top of the beam. Seems like there would be a lot of torque when it pushes, or pulls, against a log. $1000.

Just my .02- I've not used either splitter, but before we picked up the I&O the Powerhorse was on the short list. Pretty good reviews and the price was right. With 3 people working it, you can split a lot of wood in a short time. I say that because my Dad's neighbor has a older, dual split splitter. I helped them split a bunch of black walnut and ash last summer. One guy operates the controls, the other two try to keep up, then switch positions when someone gets tired. The Powerhorse claims to have a 7 sec. cycle time, that's pretty fast so having some help would be the way to go.

i purchased the ardisam earthquake splitter about 3 years ago from home depot and so far it has split everything that i can pickup. the only problem i had with it is the valve leaked after 1 year but luckly i bought an extened warranty from home depot. it took them 3 months 2 fix.

196cc motor should do very well.

I had also looked at the Earthquake and decided not to go with it. Here is a review from Cabelas:

"This is a very light duty wood splitter. I would not recommend it for anyone splitting lots of wood, or wood with large diameters as the splitting wedge is too short. There is also a problem with the set up of this unit as the split wood contiually falls on the choke control causing constant problems with the engine wanting to shut off. All that being said, it is a powerful little splitter for its' size. I would recommend spending another $300 to $400 and buying a heavier/larger unit."

I have a Earthquake 27t splitter which is built quite a bit heavier than the unit asked about by the OP. It came with a knockoff of the Honda GX390 engine w/electric start. Tires would not hold air from the start, customer service sent me complete new tires/wheels/stub axles and they seem to be holding up. The honda knockoff developed some type of heat related ignition problem about 6 months into ownership. Customer service sent me a different engine and it's working fine for several years now. A few minor things are the hydralic oil tank cap does not seal well, ditto for the fuel tank cap. The gel-cell battery for the electric start needs to be replaced now, but I seldom use it anyway because the replacement engine always starts first or second pull. If the knockoff honda ever fails I will replace it with a genuine honda hoping the real thing will vibrate less and be a little quieter. The hydralics have been flawless and structural integrity of the beam/stop plate/ wedge seem to be OK. Overall for the $1140 I paid I'd rate it a OK to good value. I would be wary of their less expensive units, if for nothing else I think some of the tough splitting woods (elm) would be a bit much for the much lighter built frame/beam.

Thanks, Tim. Pretty much everything I do is Water Oak, which usually splits pretty easily with that nice straight grain. A little bit of Post oak. Occasion Hickory. That's about all we have around here. I like the 'new' price of the smaller Earthquake but I think I'm better off renting for now and saving up for a good used, and more powerful machine.

Cheers!

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.