Arduino + Flue Temp Thermocouple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
This past weekend I finished another piece of the Arduino control system (and future data logging), a flue temperature sensor. I know that it's already been done before but I'm still pretty tickled to have it up and running and wanted to show it off.

img5873k.jpg

Next up might be a thermocouple install in the secondary combustion chamber. I think that it will help being another piece of the measurement puzzle and dialing in efficiency but I'm nervous about drilling a hole in the EKO.

twofer,
What did you end up using for the thermocouple amplifier? I've been looking for an off the shelf, fairly cheap one already on a board, so I'd only have to run wires to the controller.

I used the AD595. It isn't the cheapest but I wanted something simple to get up and running that I could mount on a breadboard.

I'd be happy to sell my amplifier as a kit. I can't possibly come close to their price, though - the AD595 costs $12 apiece and my amplifier has two of them! They also don't use a bypass capacitor, so the amplifier would be VERY susceptible to electrical noise.

My amp is two channels so needs two AD595 chips. I use RJ12 connectors rather than soldering the wires directly to the board. The board requires +5V and provides an output of 0-2.5V which corresponds to a temperature range of 0-2500 °F.

If anyone is interested, I'd sell mine as a kit without the AD595 chips for $20 plus actual shipping cost. Kit would be circuit board, bypass cap, two resistors, and two RJ12 connectors.

Attachments

• p1010060.jpg
    p1010060.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 754
Status
Not open for further replies.