Are 90 degree elbows a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slackercruster

Oct 21, 2011
Am putting in a sauna stove and was looking at a chimney route that uses 2 - 90 degree elbows. One inside and one outside. (the outside being a through the wall chimney elbow.)

Was told 90 degree elbows can mess up the draft. Is this true? I'd be using the stove once a week on average for about 2 hours or so, hopefully with wood pellets.

I can go through the roof, but it still requires 2 elbows to move the pipe to miss the trusses.

Which route (wall or roof) would work best with 2 elbows?

Thanks

45's work better if you must have bends. I'm assuming that the chimney will be pretty short. The concern is that the 90's coupled w/ a short chimney will reduce draft and not make the stove operate properly, smoke back at you, etc. What kind of stove is going here? If it's an older pre-epa unit, the concern will be less.

pen

So many varialbes... How tall is the chimney is really the key ?

Shawn

I'd get the manual for this stove before doing any chimney work and see what their specifications are for chimney height.

pen

pen said:
I'd get the manual for this stove before doing any chimney work and see what their specifications are for chimney height.

pen

+1. Find out what the manufacturer recommends before you
build something that won't perform adequately...

Most require a minimum of 13' or more of chimney. Many times you can get by with less and for a sauna I would expect you could get by with less as the stove won't be burning that long. Generally you can subtract 2-3' of chimney per 90 degree bend; that is, if your chimney is 13', with 2 90 degree bends you effectively have only 9' of chimney.

Having said that, I've used 90 degree elbows for over 50 years now without problems but I do try to keep it down. At present we have only one elbow as we go out through the wall and then up the side of the house with a SS chimney. Should you want to go this route, allow for a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal pipe.

Not using 90 elbows is better. However, it is done a lot. I have one stove that uses two of them due to the limitations of the stove location in one room, and there is no reasonable alternative. The stove works great. I did, however, after one year's use, decided to add a three-ft. section to the stovepipe to improve draft. But there are thousands of stove installations which use one or more 90 elbow.

I have two other stoves using a pair of 45's and in each case, they work great, too, but no better than the stove with the 90s.

All my stoves are wood-burners, I have no experience burning pellets or using pellet stoves.

Just reread your original post: using your stove that little, I seriously doubt you'll have any trouble with the two-90 idea if you have adequate chimney height, but that is true for any stovepipe set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.