are all catalytic combusters created equal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
How do you know when to replace a catalytic combuster. I have a dutchwest small convetion stove. Ive seen replacements much cheaper on ebay then local store.

When you start getting lots of smoke from the chimney the cat is usually about gone. It will also start to crumble. I doubt there would be a problem buying off ebay as long as it is the right size.

I don't know if they are all created equal or not, but I would look for a SS model if I were buying a new one. SS is not only significantly more durable, but they also light off at a lower temp... a win-win situation.

Are they all ceramic. The one on ebay is ceramic. Thanks for the tip on ss rating

Wet1 said:
I don't know if they are all created equal or not, but I would look for a SS model if I were buying a new one. SS is not only significantly more durable, but they also light off at a lower temp... a win-win situation.

you mean encased in ss? how will that make a platinum impregnated/ ceramic honeycomb light off at a lower temp??

to the original poster,
no, i dont think they are all created equally. but i dont sell enough of them to make fair comparison between generic models and ones from the manuafcturers of stoves... probably all made in the same factory in mexico or china anyways?

Wood Heat Stoves said:
ss="spellchecked_word">Wet1</SPAN> said:

you mean encased in ss? how will that make a platinum impregnated/ ceramic honeycomb light off at a lower temp??

to the original poster,
no, i dont think they are all created equally. but i dont sell enough of them to make fair comparison between generic models and ones from the manuafcturers of stoves... probably all made in the same factory in mexico or china anyways?

Some are made with the stainless honeycomb and are advertised to have a lower light temp.
Sudie-chem makes them for BlazeKing & is made in America.

All cats are definitely NOT the same. A cat converter uses precious metals and a honeycomb material to burn exhaust gases at lower temps than they would burn without one. I have replaced cat converters in cars with aftermarkets and you can tell the difference with a cheap aftermarket and the factory part. On the other hand it is usually quite a bit cheaper for the aftermarket. As with all things in life you get what you pay for. Palladium and the other precious metals they use in cat combusters cost money. It seams to reason that is the first place a company is going to skimp when making a cheaper part.

mellow said:

Have to love their marketing at any rate - I wonder how accurate their statements are and/or what they are leaving out of the picture. IF indeed they are delivering lower light-off temp, cleaner burn, and no crumbling issues due to thermal shock - all for 30% less cost, why aren't manufacturers flocking to them for the original builds? I have to assume that the engineering depts and purchasing depts must keep their eyes open for new "better and cheaper" technologies...

So - you folks on here representing stove builders, can you comment? Is this a case of hyperbole of marketing by a 3rd party or is there more to the story than meets the eye?

Steel cats are relatively new and they are probably still working out some kinks. I heard the steel cats have issues with fly ash clogging, restrict draft more and don't get as hot as the ceramic ones, but I'm no expert. I like the fact they are resistant to thermal shock and have a lower light off.

Status
Not open for further replies.