Are apple trees worth the effort for stove wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
From a commercial grower, so they are pretty old-trunks are not spindly.

TIA!

I would take them, if anything they are great for cooking over

Jeff

Yes, they take a long time to season but are great for burning!

Apple is good firewood.

Good firewood but a pain to process conpared to a big, straight tree. there will be lots of Ys and knots. For me it would be worth it - nice firewood.

yes, yes, yes. i think it is a hardwood-just burn very little of it around here-more so maple, birch, oak, elm, ash. but if it is free, well then, ........

Even with quantity discounts for 40-50lb bags of small chunks either from mail order or a local retailer,it still runs over $1/lb,someplaces its $2.There's orchards in most every state but the wood is still expensive when bought at retail.

I'd grab every stick I could find & bring home.

It's from a local orchard. Farmer is a good friend. We grow a lot of apples in this county.

Grab every bit you can. Great stuff, very nice aroma for those downwind of you.

Dead pieces ready to burn 6 mos. after splitting. Can be a real bear to split, with lots of small knots. Worth it.

You'll really enjoy it.

As others have stated, it's great for cooking/smoking and it's high on the BTU chart. The negatives are that most trees don't have long trunks or straight branches and it's difficult to split. Don't bother unless you have a machine to split it.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
From a commercial grower, so they are pretty old-trunks are not spindly.

TIA!

With very few exceptions I do not factor the species of tree when deciding if it's "worth it." I ask 2 questions. 1) Can I get my truck next to it. 2) How clean are the logs. For me it's all about effort expended to fill the truck. If I have to work all day for a load of wood I'll usually pass.

I split 2.5 cords last February and it is indeed a PITA to process. Burning it now, it was WELL worth the effort. Leaves a lot of "fluffy" ash. Again, worth it. I found it a lot faster drying wood than oak, YMMV.

Save the splitter trash for smoking ribs. Sublime.

Kathleen, we always considered apple as one of the very best. It just takes a lot more time to put up the wood, but if you have it, use it!

Apple is a pita, but its good stuff. I am always cursing after all the time it takes.

My Grandpa , back in the farm days, would always keep a good stack of Apple wood for those really cold winter nights. Always had a the Apple wood stacked in the back kitchen, ah memories.

Fantastic wood for firewood . . . and for smoking if you or a friend smokes meat. I always make sure I give away some of my apple wood to my friend Aaron who in turn usually invites me over a few times for some apple wood smoked ribs.

As others have said . . . a lot of curved, knotty wood . . . can be a challenge to split without a hydraulic splitter.

yes yes yes

have one the back yard. grab a few dead branches off it evrynow and again. it burns nice and hot, doesnt leave around too many coals, and the smell...you might find yourself outside in the cold just to enjoy that part of it. of course youll want ot come back in to enjoy the HEAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.