Are blue flames bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
When I run my stove on low air intake I get blue flames. I am sure it is a different temp flame. But am I wasting wood or causing build up in my chimney pipe?

Thanks

Blue flames are good. Mine gets purplish ones sometimes.

It is my understanding that blue flame is a hotter flame and will, well heat better. I see it as a sign of properly seasoned, and very hard wood, what is it that you are burning that is giving you blue flames?

Oak, Black birch and some vine wood that I cut that was choking out the Pine trees.

Oh and I think some small Ash<---maybe ash not really sure.

just what ever you do, dont fart around blue flame

You obviously don't know me Hanko, They call me the straight pipe (seriously) and you can probably think of why!!!!!

BLUE FLAMES ????? Wow, I'm glad you posted about this :) !!! That firewood could be considered DANGEROUS (even flammable) in the wrong hands :bug: ! You should ship it to me (postage paid of course) and I will dispose of it in the proper manner ;-P ... You will be considered a patriot and just a great guy for ridding your area of this terrible menace (the firewood). All the people of your community will flock to you and praise you. There will be a special holiday in your honor and even a bronze statue in your village square where once a year the children will sing of your greatness! I'm just proud I can assist you in this manner. %-P

p.s I heard hickory let's out a nice blue flame... Though I never noticed.

Tell me kid too skinny, does that black birch have a distinctive scent when freshly cut? I hve been trying to ID some wood and someone suggested it was Black birch. It looks dead on walnut but I know it definitely isn't. Sorry for being off topic.

I've been told that locust will burn blue under the right conditions. (Properly seasoned etc...) I hope to find out next year. I have between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 cord for next year. (to wet for this year. Moisture meter reads 27%.

The Black Locust I have burns some good hot blue flames. All good seasoned firewood will produce some bursts of blue in a EPA stove durning secondary combustion.

Your pine will burn with a bright yellow flame because of its higher pitch content. The flame from the hardwoods should be blue-ish.

Reactions: yikes2012
Rockey said:
Tell me kid too skinny, does that black birch have a distinctive scent when freshly cut? I hve been trying to ID some wood and someone suggested it was Black birch. It looks dead on walnut but I know it definitely isn't. Sorry for being off topic.

Black birch smells like wintergreen. Especially when it is young.

Status
Not open for further replies.