...are covered pallets OK outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76brian

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
gplus.to
I received my pellets the other day... 3 tons worth. Ordinarily I'd bring them all inside and stack them, but I have a herniated disc and I've been told to rest. I'm trying REALLY hard to keep my physical exertion to a minimal in hopes it will heal.

So, I'm probably just going to bring a weeks worth inside at a time all season. If I keep the giant plastic bag covering the pellets, and make sure I don't rip it, do you think they'll be fine? Or will they absorb too much moisture just from the air?

I received my pellets the other day... 3 tons worth. Ordinarily I'd bring them all inside and stack them, but I have a herniated disc and I've been told to rest. I'm trying REALLY hard to keep my physical exertion to a minimal in hopes it will heal.

So, I'm probably just going to bring a weeks worth inside at a time all season. If I keep the giant plastic bag covering the pellets, and make sure I don't rip it, do you think they'll be fine? Or will they absorb too much moisture just from the air?

Personally I would try to find a way to get them under cover- kid, neighborhood kid etc.. but most pellet retailers do store them outside covered for extended periods of time without issues, if they had too many issues then they would not do it.

The pallets that are in the original wrapping and is good and intact should be fine....I would be a little concerned after you opened the pallet that water could get in......wont absorb water unless it comes into direct contact

The pallets that are in the original wrapping and is good and intact should be fine....I would be a little concerned after you opened the pallet that water could get in......wont absorb water unless it comes into direct contact
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bought alot of them like that,never had a problem.........Just be sure the outter cover has no cuts or holes...
tony

X2, I got a cinch tarps to add a extra level of protection. They sell em as leaf tarps and are cheap.

I have seen pictures on Hearth of peoples supplies outside just like their wood stacks.
I would add another cover over them just to be sure. Although, I keep mine in a pellet shed, I would not hesitate to leave a ton outside until I could fit them in the shed.

Bill

I have the better part of 10 tons sitting outside. They are covered by a couple of big tarps & will stay that way until I bring them in to burn. I don't have a choice as I don't have a shed & my usable basement is under the garage & not under the house. I've stored them this way for the lasr 4 years & I've only lost a part of two bags when a branch came off a tree in a snow storm & penetrated them...

Status
Not open for further replies.