1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Are Envi-Blocks Appropriate for a Downdraft Stove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lumbering on, Dec 30, 2012.

1. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    Everything I'm learning about the downdraft stoves emphasizes getting a good coal bed.
    I am without seasoned wood this first year and have been burning Envi-Blocks.

But they don't actually burn down to a coal bed, there is literally nothing left of them but a fine ash.

I didn't realize the difference until I just burned a few bundles of kiln dried hickory and oak and the difference in heat output was obvious and much longer duration.

Any similar experiences/frustrations/success with the Envi-Blocks in a downdraft stove?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    I would have to assume there is a coaling stage to envi-blocks. At some point they would lose their shape and begin to break apart. They don't just catch fire and turn to dust.

Buy a couple and give it a try.
  3. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    No doubt hickory is a better fuel than compressed sawdust. Many here recommend using blocks and firewood together.
    Some suggest bunching them together tightly for a longer lasting fire.

As for the stove type, not an issue. Coals are good. Next year you will have them.

(my stove is a downdraft) Blocks work great, I love them, but they are not free.
  4. ControlFreak

ControlFreak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Holden, MA
    A few years ago I bought one skid of the 8" envi blocks. I used them in an Avalon Arbor downflow stove. I found that I was able to get VERY consistent results with these because they are always the same, unlike a load of firewood. I would load up the stove with 5 of these for a night. It bugged me that basically the blocks were about a buck each, so a $5 load each night seemed to be a little bit of a bummer to me, as compared to wood that I could get for free if I worked to get it. Anyway, the Envi blocks do work and I wouldn't be concerned about them damaging anything as long as you are watching the stove and keeping it under control.
  5. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I do the Envi Blocks in a Harman Oakwood, which is a downdraft stove. I do between 6 and 7 pallets a year and get great results. The trick is to get them glowing hot enough before you execute the downdraft damper.