Are Envi-Blocks Appropriate for a Downdraft Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Everything I'm learning about the downdraft stoves emphasizes getting a good coal bed.
I am without seasoned wood this first year and have been burning Envi-Blocks.

But they don't actually burn down to a coal bed, there is literally nothing left of them but a fine ash.

I didn't realize the difference until I just burned a few bundles of kiln dried hickory and oak and the difference in heat output was obvious and much longer duration.

Any similar experiences/frustrations/success with the Envi-Blocks in a downdraft stove?

I would have to assume there is a coaling stage to envi-blocks. At some point they would lose their shape and begin to break apart. They don't just catch fire and turn to dust.

Buy a couple and give it a try.

Everything I'm learning about the downdraft stoves emphasizes getting a good coal bed.
I am without seasoned wood this first year and have been burning Envi-Blocks.

But they don't actually burn down to a coal bed, there is literally nothing left of them but a fine ash.

I didn't realize the difference until I just burned a few bundles of kiln dried hickory and oak and the difference in heat output was obvious and much longer duration.

Any similar experiences/frustrations/success with the Envi-Blocks in a downdraft stove?

No doubt hickory is a better fuel than compressed sawdust. Many here recommend using blocks and firewood together.
Some suggest bunching them together tightly for a longer lasting fire.

As for the stove type, not an issue. Coals are good. Next year you will have them.

(my stove is a downdraft) Blocks work great, I love them, but they are not free.

A few years ago I bought one skid of the 8" envi blocks. I used them in an Avalon Arbor downflow stove. I found that I was able to get VERY consistent results with these because they are always the same, unlike a load of firewood. I would load up the stove with 5 of these for a night. It bugged me that basically the blocks were about a buck each, so a $5 load each night seemed to be a little bit of a bummer to me, as compared to wood that I could get for free if I worked to get it. Anyway, the Envi blocks do work and I wouldn't be concerned about them damaging anything as long as you are watching the stove and keeping it under control.

I do the Envi Blocks in a Harman Oakwood, which is a downdraft stove. I do between 6 and 7 pallets a year and get great results. The trick is to get them glowing hot enough before you execute the downdraft damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.