Are green and wet the same?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapBassTurd

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
Indiana/ Michigan border
Here's one I haven't dug up an answer on as of yet.

Is moist dead wood considered green or just wet?

I hacked up from April to July a red oak standing dead which is the bulk of my stock.
The impact of the splitter sometimes left a wet spot on the round when the axe didn't go through.
Portions of the tree had leaves but this tree had no future whatsoever. 80% dead and many
small break offs on the ground.

Much of my scrounged rounds were old enough that the bark fell off in chunks and the wood had
no color in it. Gray and dead but still wet spots where the splitter impacted. Quick drying
layer of slime where I debarked to expose the grain to the air.

What green scrounge I got following the Aslplundh fellers went straight to the "don't even bother
with it this year" end of the now 95' stack.

I have the shoulder and first month of 24/7 covered with dead n' dry but after that is is it best to go
to the long dead but wet scrounge? I split small for our first full winter and dead splits are 3 inch
and smaller. Been airing out for months already. My stack has sun and wind exposure.

Luckily there's a safety net of the area pallet factory who leaves out bins nightly of end pieces
and trimmings. The thick center beams we can run almost endlessly and are 3" to a foot long.

Quickly learning the details of this sport I now have two winters CSS and still going further ahead.
I'm going to run the three year plan but am still building stock and knowledge.

What's wet? What's green? What can we cook first?

A big n' humble thank you fer a bitta help on this one,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tom123
It really doesn't matter why the water is there is you are much above 20% moisture content even in you old stove it will not work well. Get yourself a moisture meter till you can tell by sound and feel if it is dry.

As bholler said, doesn't really matter. I consider "green" wood that which is living and freshly cut. Living or dead, wet is still wet. $20 for a moisture meter will tell you what you should be burning next, and the lower the better. 20% or lower is best.

Although i agree wet is wet i find that dead wet wood (standing dead wet) dries at least 5 times faster than green wood (standing live)....dries meaning gets to 20%

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom123
Green wood will always be wet, but wet wood is not necessarily green.

Several years back we got a truck load of soaking wet maple rounds that had been on the ground in a damp area for a couple years. It wasn't green, but man was it wet. Weighed a ton. Surprisingly the stuff dried out pretty well a year after being split and stacked and burned nicely.

Thanks gang.
I was trying to find the right wording but the main question was "Which dries fastest?

There's a definite difference in sound and weight also. I have access to a MM but don't own one.

The question is answered as far as myself but seems like a good topic to talk more about as there are quite
a few newbies like myself as well as some others who need to "dry some in a hurry" this year.

Yes, I type too much on my drug of choice, coffee. lol Living a few miles from Lake Michigan leaves us
living on an ancient dune. 8-10 inches under the ground is sand as far as one can dig and it wicks away
moisture like crazy. Our lil' house on a rise is the first to have a brown lawn every time we go over a week
without rain. The crawlspace is VERY dry with a sand floor. Gonna start bringing in the deads to lay out
in single layers down there as well as using the blessings from the pallet factory. We're gonna make it.

Heather (Mrs Cheap) showed me how to use her camera and port up forcing me into this century (although
I'm still nervous about this whole Y2K thing). Pics in varying degrees of pointlessness soon to follow.
The row of cedars in my avatar run the 2 acre length of the side yard and are now wood racks. The conifer
shape worked great for keeping the wood dry last winter so I'll post the "wood wall" and some close ups
of the fuel supply hopefully after it gets light in the am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think it will make to much difference it they are the same moisture content on a fresh face.

I think Begreen is right. The difference is that green has "cell bound" moisture. This is the obviously the most difficult and most time consuming moisture for wood to lose. Once it is seasoned, say it absorbs moisture from being submerged under water and then taken out, this will be much easier and take much less time for the wood to reach its MC before it was submerged.

There ya go Rocky has it nailed. cell bound vs/ inter-cellular absorption.

wood 005.JPG Did this work? My first posted pic ever?
If so, it's part of the wood wall held by the cedar row. Good dry stuff but not a whole winter.
Mostly the red oak gifted from auntie.

Ahh, the wood wall showed up too.
Youz-guys get to be my practice (victims) on pic posting.

Attachments

• wood 007.JPG
    wood 007.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 137
  • wood 007.JPG
    wood 007.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 151
wood 006.JPG
The blessings from the pallet factory.
(huge amount available)wood 006.JPG wood 004.JPG
wood 007.JPG

Obviously need to practice this picture thing. LOL

The 4X8 pallet of rounds is ALL free scrounged and Asplundh drops.
Can't split nor go back to work with the rotator surgery. Out one more month. Temp disability
pays the mortgage, gettin' edibles from the churches, roadside wood is free, we shred Goodwill and
Aldi, etc. She does some accounting from home too.
Took only prime as you can see. We're SO lucky to have this much available that I haven't bought any
wood yet ! Nor even needed the saw this year. That's not ego or boasting, it's damned-lucky and I know that. We pray a lot too.
We're broke as a joke here @ Cheap Acres but see ourselves as wealthy as our needs are met with a lil' planning and a lot of sweat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom123 and Hasufel
Status
Not open for further replies.