Are pallets garbage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevreh

Dec 9, 2016
Virginia
I see wood pallets sitting around in a little industrial area by my way to work. Not sure if I can just take one or two (and do someone a favor) or if they get $$ for them? They make good starter wood for my insert.
Thanks

Ask. It varies, some companies reuse, some do not. Others may not need them but sell them. Our local lumber yard used to give them away free, but then seeing the demand they started selling them. (Now they have stacks of several dozen.)

Some people give them away. Definitely worth asking. Where I work they actually break them down into boards and then give that away. It's great stuff to start with, especially as a lot of it is kiln dried.

I see wood pallets sitting around in a little industrial area by my way to work. Not sure if I can just take one or two (and do someone a favor) or if they get $$ for them? They make good starter wood for my insert.

Ask. In my area people who do want to get rid of their pallets put an ad up on Craigslist.

i use them to stack my wood on. Keeps my piles off the ground

Around here if the pallets are sitting by the road they're considered fair game and free to take . . . pallets resting up against buildings or elsewhere on the property requires permission to take.

Most of the time the folks are happy to give them away, but some places return them and other places have a guy who routinely swings by to pick them up -- not sure if he is recycling them, burning them himself or cutting them up and selling the boards as "fire wood."

Like others have said, it depends on the property owner. Around my way, I can get free pallets pretty much any day of the week. I've built my wood racks & my chicken coop out of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Around here if the pallets are sitting by the road they're considered fair game and free to take . . . pallets resting up against buildings or elsewhere on the property requires permission to take.

Most of the time the folks are happy to give them away, but some places return them and other places have a guy who routinely swings by to pick them up -- not sure if he is recycling them, burning them himself or cutting them up and selling the boards as "fire wood."

Yeah, the few I've picked up have been by the street. So I figured they were junk and not wanted.

I've found them to be a total pain to deal with for kindling. Take one apart then decide if you want to do another...

I cut them apart with my circular saw, doesn't take long. The dried wood makes for nice starter wood, lights up quickly. The biggest "challenge" is to prevent blade pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.