Are pellet prices dropping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
If you bought your pellet stove to save money on your heating bills, summer is the time to buy your pellets. shipping is high right now but pellet mills are dropping their prices to keep up on production and keep their staff working. It is easy to store two tons of pellets in a 40" x 48" area. There is no telling what is going to happen to the price of fuel this coming summer but I will bet anyone a 12 pack that the price does not drop much. If you wait until October or November to buy pellets it is on you if shipping sky rockets and you pay over $225 per ton. Lowes, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply had their pellets for $239.00 around here. The stores I supplied in this area (N/E Ohio) had theirs for $210 with a peek at $215 for a couple weeks but due to shipping logistics it dropped back to $210.00 for most of the winter.

I have a 2,500 sqft house with a forced air propane furnace. I only had the furnace run on two occasions and that was to make sure it still worked. I flipped the breaker on the furnace back in November because a power outage reset the thermostat and I heard it start up after the power returned. My house stayed at 72 degrees the entire winter thanks to a Pacific Energy Super-27 and a Breckwell P-2700 pellet stove. I went through an armload of slab each day and just over a bag of pellets running the Breckwell on level #2 except when the temp. dropped below 20 degrees outside. Pellet stoves rock.

A friend of mine built a 1,600 sqft, two bedroom, all electric, two floor home for his son this winter. The first two electric bills were $600 per month and the third was $680. I installed a 30,000 btu pellet stove in the frontroom and the electric bill with three weeks of the stove on it was $250.00.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but buy your pellets in the summer.

My summer buy this year is
$190 per ton for one or two tons
$185 per ton for 3-5 tons
$180 per ton for over 6 tons

SPECIAL hearth.com pricing of
$175 for 5 tons or more mentioning the site.
This is p/u from Brookfield, Ohio 44403

kinsman stoves said:
If you bought your pellet stove to save money on your heating bills, summer is the time to buy your pellets. shipping is high right now but pellet mills are dropping their prices to keep up on production and keep their staff working. It is easy to store two tons of pellets in a 40" x 48" area. There is no telling what is going to happen to the price of fuel this coming summer but I will bet anyone a 12 pack that the price does not drop much. If you wait until October or November to buy pellets it is on you if shipping sky rockets and you pay over $225 per ton. Lowes, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply had their pellets for $239.00 around here. The stores I supplied in this area (N/E Ohio) had theirs for $210 with a peek at $215 for a couple weeks but due to shipping logistics it dropped back to $210.00 for most of the winter.

I have a 2,500 sqft house with a forced air propane furnace. I only had the furnace run on two occasions and that was to make sure it still worked. I flipped the breaker on the furnace back in November because a power outage reset the thermostat and I heard it start up after the power returned. My house stayed at 72 degrees the entire winter thanks to a Pacific Energy Super-27 and a Breckwell P-2700 pellet stove. I went through an armload of slab each day and just over a bag of pellets running the Breckwell on level #2 except when the temp. dropped below 20 degrees outside. Pellet stoves rock.

A friend of mine built a 1,600 sqft, two bedroom, all electric, two floor home for his son this winter. The first two electric bills were $600 per month and the third was $680. I installed a 30,000 btu pellet stove in the frontroom and the electric bill with three weeks of the stove on it was $250.00.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but buy your pellets in the summer.

My summer buy this year is
$190 per ton for one or two tons
$185 per ton for 3-5 tons
$180 per ton for over 6 tons

SPECIAL hearth.com pricing of
$175 for 5 tons or more mentioning the site.
This is p/u from Brookfield, Ohio 44403

I agree .......summer buy is the BEST. That "use" to be the way oil was but that definitely is the way pellets are. I am going to wait for my buy in the early summer.....but def. wont wait til fall/winter and then have to car load them and hope that they have some for rest of winter....lol. I'll wait til early summer....maybe a lil longer then will have mine delivered or pick them up.....

I would buy from you, but your three hours away (I'm northwest of Columbus) and my savings would be eaten up by my fuel cost to go get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.