Are pellet stoves getting tooo advanced ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
From what I've been reading in other posts it seems like that pellet stove engineers are going nuts with all the new gadgets . What do any of you think ? From two stage augers to self cleaning unit to way advanced electronics . It seems that pellet stoves are getting to be like the new televisions that no ordinary Joe can set up and operate.

In the most part I dont think so
Except for some like the bixby and some other that I think have to much extras
But Most have the same Concepts and controls just a different spin on it.
Just like the Internal combustion engine that has not changed in concept but improved the delivery of fuel and Electronics over the years.

Pellet stove are the same way

I'm looking for the day when someone will come out with a stove that will suck the pellets out of a 1-ton container and deposit them into the burnpot so lazy old me doesn't have to dump 40# bags of pellets in the hopper once a day! It would also be nice if someone would come out with a pellet stove that only has to be cleaned at the end of the heating season. I sure won't fault the pellet stove makers for trying to improve their stoves as long as they don't make them where they have to connect to the Internet to get the weather forecast so they can program their burn settings.

Philip said:
I sure won't fault the pellet stove makers for trying to improve their stoves as long as they don't make them where they have to connect to the Internet to get the weather forecast so they can program their burn settings.
That could actually help....;)

I would appreciate a self-lighting stove. A thermostat and self-ash cleaning would be nice, too.

wilbilt said:
Philip said:
I sure won't fault the pellet stove makers for trying to improve their stoves as long as they don't make them where they have to connect to the Internet to get the weather forecast so they can program their burn settings.
That could actually help....;)

I would appreciate a self-lighting stove. A thermostat and self-ash cleaning would be nice, too.

I have a Self cleaning stove (well for 10 weeks or 40 bags)
Self lighting stove
Timed on a Set back thermostat
3 bag hopper. In a few more years it will be self Filling for My Dougher will be big enough to fill it.

Webmaster said:
How about a "self fixing" pellet stove, aka The Terminator Self Repair?

lol I'll agree to that one! lol

Webmaster said:
How about a "self fixing" pellet stove, aka The Terminator Self Repair?
Hey were is that ban button
Someone is trying to take away my job.

The digital control boards bother me. I'm not a huge fan of anything I can't repair myself and I can't repair the control board. Spend $200 or so and replace it? Yes. Repair it? No. I wonder really just how necessary it is to have them digital. Sure, the red numbers are kind of cute but........really, wouldn't some good old fashioned switches do the same job just as well?

pegdot said:
The digital control boards bother me. I'm not a huge fan of anything I can't repair myself and I can't repair the control board. Spend $200 or so and replace it? Yes. Repair it? No. I wonder really just how necessary it is to have them digital. Sure, the red numbers are kind of cute but........really, wouldn't some good old fashioned switches do the same job just as well?
Its funny peg. I was sold on the digital stuff when i was first looking at stoves....so when I looked at the Quad and it had low, medium and high I was very nervous on it because I had in my mind that I didnt want anything but a digital board, however, after buying and running it. I love the basic switch. I suppose everyone has their favorite pros and cons. Digital boards arent a con with me just for right now I prefer the 3 level switch with a remote thermostat :)

Philip - 19 January 2008 07:59 PM
I’m looking for the day when someone will come out with a stove that will suck the pellets out of a 1-ton container and deposit them into the burnpot so lazy old me doesn’t have to dump 40# bags of pellets in the hopper once a day!

Andre B. - 21 January 2008 01:41 PM

Done.
http://www.woodheat.ie/?Complete_boiler_system:Auger_Feed_System

Edit:
Another one.
http://www.gerkros.ie/hoppers.htm

Hey, I like those. Now all I got to do is find someone in my area that will sell and deliver pellets in bulk. Maybe in a year or so that will happen if the price of oil continues to rise. You people with a pellet stove dealers on every corner and pellets sold in Lowe's, Home Depot and even Wal-Mart don't know how good you got it. In a town of 300,000 or so there's only one store (Tractor Supply) that sells pellets and I'm guessing that's only because a store employee or the manager has a pellet stove.

Andre B. said:
Philip said:
I'm looking for the day when someone will come out with a stove that will suck the pellets out of a 1-ton container and deposit them into the burnpot so lazy old me doesn't have to dump 40# bags of pellets in the hopper once a day!

Done.;)
http://www.woodheat.ie/?Complete_boiler_system:Auger_Feed_System

Edit:
Another one.
http://www.gerkros.ie/hoppers.htm

That would be very slick. It wouldnt surprise me in the near future thats offered in alot of areas....

That does look pretty neat!

I'm with Phillip. I suffer from pellet envy every time I read this board. Having a choice of name brand pellets to choose from, being able to buy stoves and venting locally, actually being able to call out a service man for your stove....ahhh...ya'll are killing me! :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.