Are saw chain lengths universal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
I bought a replacement chain for my husky 450, which originally had the H30 chain, 78 DL.

Replaced with a windsor chain, same pitch, also 78 DL, but it won't fit. Seems about an inch too short.

I count 39 tie straps and 39 cutters, which should mean there really are 78 DL there.

No matter how much i work on it, it won't fit. I know new chains are tight, but even with the inner edge of the bar against the sprocket, it won't go.

Is there some variability among chain brands that I don't know about?

Thanks.

Pitch?
.325 and 3/8 and 3/8 Lo Profile
3/8 is actually about .365 IIRC, not sure about LP

.325, the same/correct pitch

Pitch?
.325 and 3/8 and 3/8 Lo Profile
3/8 is actually about .365 IIRC, not sure about LP
Both are 3/8 which is 0.375". To get pitch, measure three rivets and divide by two. Something odd a friend has a Husky 372 Xp and he got a screaming deal on 18" chains 68 dl they fit the bar he has, I bought an 18" bar and the chains were too long I looked and found Husky takes 68 dl and the Stihl bar takes 66 dl. both use 72 dl chains on 20" bars.

As in the first post, there are 78 drive links--39 cutters, 39 tie straps. 156 rivets.

I measure the pitch at 0.33.

Also the windsor chain is stamped 50J, which should be a .325 chain.

Only thing I can think to try is remove the sprocket, put the chain on the bar, and ease the sprocket through the chain already in place.

Just to cover all bases, stretch them out side by side on your bench and carefully examine them. Notice any difference?

Without the bar does the chain seem to spin nicely on the saw sprocket?

Without the saw does the chain seem to spin nicely on the bar?

Reactions: Fifelaker
X2. Are they both.050 or .058?

They are both .050 gauge, though I've never heard of chain gauge effecting chain length. And the chain fits properly in the bar, and slides easily.

Both are 3/8 which is 0.375".

It's a side trail, not trying to divert here. 3/8 as a true fraction is .375, but I think the '3/8' chain is a nominal dimension and it is actually a bit under that.
Wouldn't affect this discussion though.

Interested to see what shakes out.

kcj

They are both .050 gauge, though I've never heard of chain gauge effecting chain length. And the chain fits properly in the bar, and slides easily.
I was thinking you may have gotten .058" and you have a .050" bar and it was holding it out.

Just to cover all bases, stretch them out side by side on your bench and carefully examine them. Notice any difference?

This. Should tell you right away if there's a difference between the chain lengths.

Check the markings on the drive links. sometimes things get mismarked or packaged wrong. also check the markings on your bar that number stamped on it has most of the info you need. I take odds that what you have is a .325 instead of a .375 both are listed as 3/8 but a world of differance length wise. Only other thing is if your saw can handle a full height cutter or not. Hard to see that fault if it has an outboard clutch. Random thoughts.

all things being equal(allegedly) I would guess it was packaged incorrectly so take the saw with you or at the very least, the chain to be replaced and buy one that works.

Reactions: TreePointer
Is there some variability among chain brands that I don't know about?

To answer this part of your question Dave, chains between manufacturers should be the same, assuming they are the same pitch/drive links.

Another option is that Husky has the .325 "pixel" chain which is a narrow kerf setup I believe. Just one other variable to keep an eye out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.