are somerset pellets any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayboggsjr

Mar 29, 2009
west central ohio
Has anybody had any luck with Somerset premium pellets? The only pellets that seem to be available around me are Somerset,Pennington, and Country boy. We have burned about 3 bags of Penningtons and had a lot of ash. Not sure if I want a ton of these or not. We have not burned any of the Somersets yet, only bought 5 bags to see if they burned better. I am new to pellet stoves but I am getting lots of good advice from reading the posts. Thanks everybody.

My opinion is based on burning in a Harman PC45. Not a bad pellet. Picked up 5 bags at a Tractor Supply and they burn similar to Juniata but the pellets are lighter in color. Less ash than Rocky Mountain. Definitely burnable. Some dust in the bag but I've seen worse.

I love Somerset pellets. Where are you finding them at? I live near Hamilton and was unable to find any this year. Would love to find some.

I have burned 3 tons of Sommerset Premium pellets this season, and I would say they are very good. There is very little ash with these pellets. The ash in the burn pot is a very fine ash, and there is very little of it in the burn pot after 12 hours or so of burning. I have yet to find a clinker in the burnt ash when I empty the pot, the ash is sometimes clumpy looking but if you touch it with your fingers its soft and breaks apart easily, whereas a clinker would be hard as a rock.

I highly recommend these Sommerset pellets, and there is also very little dust at the bottom of the bag, as the other poster mentioned. I would like to be able to get another delivery of Sommerset this year, Im hoping that my dealer will get them if he can. Sommerset's burn hot, and the interior of my firebox is a whiteish gray there is no brown or black color from burning these pellets. I also notice the window takes several days to even begin to look dirty so I would think that these pellets are as good as the leading brand of hardwood premiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.