Are Spruce Pointe as good as Okies?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madge69

Nov 18, 2010
central ma
I found what I think is a good deal on Spruce Pointe pellets and was wondering if they are roughly as good as Okies? I'd like to save the $40/ton if possible. Thanks.

Try out a couple bags to be sure, But I found them comparable to the Okies. Okies push a tick more heat, But the sprucies burn a bit cleaner. Both get A's in my scoring and would gladly burn either if the price was in my spending limit.

Let us know how they do for you?

Tested Okies and Spruce in 2009. Been burning Spruce since. Very similar pellets, but Spruce has been cheaper for me. Sorry Mr Warm, 40 per ton difference is significant.

As J pointed out, try a few bags, but I dont think that you will go wrong with either.

I really liked SP! They burned so clean that I was able to clean my stove with very little effort. It would've been nice if the SP bags didn't rip so easily.

I've been testing out a few different pellets since this has been my first year. I plan on stocking up this spring with SP, Barefoots, and Cubex.

Maybe I'll have to try them again.. I tested the Spruce Point and didn't think they were anywhere near as good as the Oakies.

Md2002 said:
Maybe I'll have to try them again.. I tested the Spruce Point and didn't think they were anywhere near as good as the Oakies.

After burning a few bags of Spruce Pointes, I agree with your assessment. My burn pot fills up with heavy ash with the SP's, even with the draft set way too high (in my opinion). Frankly, I think NEWP's burn better than this batch of SP's. Should have gone with the Okies, but would have cost me more...

I'm gonna have a bunch (less than a ton) of SP's for sale very soon.....

Status
Not open for further replies.