Are there any Low Profile Elbows available?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe117

Feb 26, 2011
SW CT
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know of a low profile 90 degree elbow? I'm looking at a T5 stove which top vents. Its too tall to fit my fireplace with a standard 6" elbow. I really want the stove but not enough to rebuild the whole fireplace for this stove. I have considered cutting a hole just above the "lindle" (the steel plate header thing) but the house boss doesn't like that. Thanks for any help
Joe

Joe, They do make an offset box that would probably work, if you can get the stove partially into the fireplace opening. They are not much to look at so you want to hide it. I assume the standard elbow you have is 9" - 10" in height. I'm sure a custom shop could build something, but even a 6" custom 90 elbow would still be 6.5". Hopefully someone else can come up with a better idea. Good luck.

thx double-d.
I should have mentioned I would prefer it be less than 6" total. I was searching stove sites for a squashed oval or maybe a thin rectangle with two 6" fittings that extends back a foot or so. I maybe out of luck with this one, but I hope someone chimes in with a recommended product.

Great question. The standard 90s and tees cause the loss of many inches of space.

I don't have a "product", but I am willing to bet a local fabricator could bend/weld something up for you.. A rectangle of the needed cross sectional area, with a "in" connector at one end, and "out" at the other end on the opposite side built from say, 18 gauge stainless sheet, They make something like it, but not as heavy as you would need, to offset dryer exhausts in close fitting areas.. I would trust it. I would want a pretty straight tall run on the chimney side for a good draft..

look here.. http://repair2000.com/ventkit.html

go down about halfway to Extra Long/ Periscope Vent Kits-.. something like that.. out of heavy gauge stainless...

Would this work: http://www.hartshearth.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3660&idcategory=0

offset2.jpg

Pacific Energy make a offset box but it only goes back 3".

Status
Not open for further replies.