Are there any other Cat-non Cat optional inserts out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Just reading my manual for my (1985) PE insert. Combustor Option *CC35 can be customer as well as factory installed. Of course good luck getting that combustor these days. Also, it says, *(this option must be installed before insert is placed in fireplace opening). What a "pain in the ass" that would be. as the insert is bolted into the new SS Liner. Anyway, it goes on to say remove baffle plate,etc,etc. So it can be used with or without the combustor,since it obviously came with a baffle plate. That I have since dutifully replaced. Were there other makes and models at that time that are like this one? Also, it says that the catalytic combustor will: Reduce creosote up to 90% and increase efficiency up to 20%. Is that true? Any comments would be appreciated. @by the way,even though I managed to dig up the manual, there is no model or serial number on any of the pages.The only way to get it would be to pull the insert and look on the sides.

This is the first optional cat or baffle stove I have ever heard of. You might be able to get a cat for it, I don't use a cat, but there are many on here that use a website, I forget its name combustors.com or something like that. If it has served you well all these years, and you just put a new baffle in, why even think of a cat?

I was only thinking about it for a possible longer burn. But then, we rarely get hardwood out here on the "wet coast". So,it probably isn`t worth the trouble. Thanks again for answering my post.. You are a trooper,sir!!

stovescombustors.com is the website. I looked on there, but they don't list a specific catalytic combustor for your stove; however they have a bunch of generic sizes and I'm willing to bet they make one that will fit yours.

Even though you're burning softwood, or maybe even more so since you're burning softwood you could really benefit from the constant heat output and longer burn times of a combustor. I'd say if you could find one you'd really be best served to try it out.

Thank you Corrie: How would I measure the size? same as the baffle that I just replaced? Or what? The baffle I replaced is 10x16 inches, and is according to PE specs, but seems rather skimpy, I mean a quarter inch either way and it would fall off the shelves. By shelves, I mean the 3 and a half inch shelves on each side that the baffle sits on.

Corrie: I thank you for how much you contirbute to this forum. Maybe you did or did not see my little rant about my neighbors up the road from me that contirbute nothing. I am writing about PE, only 20 klicks away from my house. Personally, I find it embarassing to be a resident of this beautiful Cowichan Valley, and not to see one of it`s largest employer`s contributing to this forum.. My hat`s off to you, no matter what kind of insert or stove people have, you always try to help..ENOUGH SAID!!

Status
Not open for further replies.