1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Are These Gloves Good?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Mass. Wine Guy, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mass. Wine Guy

Mass. Wine Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern Massachusetts

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Enquiring minds want to know - In what manner are you managing your fire which would require protection for your hands from embers and flames?
  3. Mass. Wine Guy

Mass. Wine Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern Massachusetts
    Managing my fire? Hmm. When I place wood into an already burning fire, I don't want to burn my hands.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Look good enough for me!
  5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Any work glove is fine for that as long as you're not leaving your hand in there. If you want slightly more protection and want to pay a lot more you can get some welding gloves.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    yep anything cheap, i wasted my carhartt gloves on my furance still use them but not pretty anymore!
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    90% of the time I manage my fire, it is with bare hands. The only time I don a pair of gloves is when I am raking a large bed of hot coals and even then, I use really cheap cloth backed work gloves.
  8. Andre B.

Andre B. New Member

This is what I use for hot loading, most of the time the grabber is enough but there are times when the mitts are needed. At those times a dry stick of wood bursts into flames before you even set it down on the coals, and you can't hold your bare hand within 2 feet of the open door. ;)

Got the grapper at Farm & Fleet a few years ago, have not seen them in a store since.

Attached Files:

9. Girl

Girl New Member

Loc:
    Mass
    I got long suede welders gloves at HD, Lowes or Walmart for 8-10 bucks, I am famous for burning the top of my wrist.
    I got my grabber at Walmart.
  10. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Ding Ding Ding! $7.95 a pair. Paying more would be a waste. They work very well.
  11. NitroDave

NitroDave Member

Loc:
    Cohoctah, Mi.
    How about the OVE GLOVE ?? :p
  12. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Either of the gloves the OP mentioned would work, neither is a particularly great bargain IMHO. I think welders gauntlets are probably the optimal fire tending wear, but no need to spend huge amounts on getting super fancy. The only reason to avoid the real cheap gloves (i.e. Harbor Freight) is that some of the cheapies will take a "set" and get very hard and stiff after being exposed to heat a few times. The expensive gloves aren't as prone to that.

Gooserider
  13. JerseyWreckDiver

JerseyWreckDiver New Member

Loc:
    North/West New Jersey
    Last Xmas my mother, getting tired of seeing burn marks on my hands, got me a pair of these. I never would have bought these myself, I was content as I was even with the burns and I'm thinking, what am I going to do with these things. Well when you have them around suddenly uses for them start popping up all over the place. They are made from Kevlar & Nomex (the stuff firefighters wear under their turnout gear). So of course I had to try them out... slipped one on and put my hand right in the flames and held it there, waiting, waiting, waiting, getting impressed... reached down and scooped up a handful red coals and held them in my hand! Took quite a while before I started feeling warmth. Now I use them all the time, they are great for being able to adjust pieces to make sure there is good air space between, especially when one falls over and starts smothering the fire, place a piece just so, pick up burning chunks from the floor. I would recommend them to anyone. After a year of steady use they are just as good as when I got them, cept' dirty of course.
  14. 11 Bravo

11 Bravo New Member

Loc:
    Yankee Springs....in SW Michigan
    I am sure they will work fine. I considered the ove glove, but opted for a $13 pair of Lincoln Electric welding gloves from Menards.....and they are perfect....no more burns
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.