Are these quotes Reasonable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwindsor

Feb 1, 2011
Mercer County NJ
I am looking for a wood fireplace insert as a primary source of heat for a 2500 sq ft home in Central NJ. I got a quote today from a local dealer for the Harman 300i and Quadrafire 4100i.

The Harman 300i is $5200 and the Quadrafire 3100i is $5250.
These prices include the units, 6" stainless steel liner and chimney top, and installation. The dealer didn't break down the total cost. The manufacturers' sites have the MSRPs for the units.

Two questions: Are these quotes reasonable? Are you pleased with these inserts if you purchased any one of them? I seem to like the Harman the most because of the large firebox, heating capacity, and long burn duration. Any feedback or comments is very much appreciated.

Is this the only dealer you have tried?

What exactly is the dealer selling you? Is the liner insulated? What is the roof like? How big is the chimney to begin with? It's possible but it depends on the work/materials needed.

Yes, this is the only dealer I have tried. The house is a two story colonial. I have asked the dealer to give me a break down of the total cost for each unit.
Not sure, but the roof may be 28 ft. The liner isn't insulated.

This is the busiest and most expensive time of the year to get work done.

BeGreen said:
This is the busiest and most expensive time of the year to get work done.
+1. I just went through what your going through now, a couple weeks ago. Your quote should be good for at least a month, so i suggest checking out a few more dealers as well. IMHO, they are all very close with prices. Also check out the manufactures web site, chances are you could print a coupon worth up to a few hundred bucks. Also another dealer may have a monthly discount. If you want to have the dealer do the install, plan on up to a month wait. Good luck.

I put my own SS liner in my chimney with the help of a friend. He was in the basement I was on the roof. Could have done it myself , but was way easier with two people. It cost me 560 for the 30 foot liner. Maybe you could do it yourself and save a bundle.

For THAT kind of money..........you could buy a really nice stand alone wood stove, instead of an insert!!!

That said, I agree that this is NOT the time of year to buy! Don't buy a snow blower when a snowstorm hits; don't buy a lawn mower in June; don't buy a leaf blower in October.............

Just common sense........

-Soupy1957

Only problem is that I am not handy at all. The quotes include the $100 manufacturer's discount.
The dealer can install the insert about the second week in January, which is nice because I wanted to get it in before it got really cold so I could save a few bucks on the utility bill.

A free standing stove would be my preference as well, but with my current set up it is most cost effective to go with an insert.
That said, is the $2112 (Harman 300i) and $2471 (Quadrafire 3100i) cost for the liner and installation reasonable?

I would like to make a decision shortly before I find something else to do with the money I set aside to put an insert in. Thanks for all of your the feedback.

Sometimes it worth the extra money to just get it over and done with. And then you can do other things in life. But going through a dealer is like going to a car dealer to get routine maintenance on your car, they charge about double. There should be lots of chimney sweeps that would install a liner cheaper. As far as the stove goes, there isnt much shopping around this time of year.

wwindsor said:
Only problem is that I am not handy at all. The quotes include the $100 manufacturer's discount.
The dealer can install the insert about the second week in January, which is nice because I wanted to get it in before it got really cold so I could save a few bucks on the utility bill.

A free standing stove would be my preference as well, but with my current set up it is most cost effective to go with an insert.
That said, is the $2112 (Harman 300i) and $2471 (Quadrafire 3100i) cost for the liner and installation reasonable?

I would like to make a decision shortly before I find something else to do with the money I set aside to put an insert in. Thanks for all of your the feedback.

If you can't find anyone else to do it cheaper, then that's reasonable.

My installation for the Quad 2700i (a smaller insert) with an insulated liner was $3666, but that was 18 months ago and off-season.

I got a quote of $5500 for the Harman 300i from another dealer. It turns out that Harman is starting a $300 max promotion shortly which the dealer did not include in the initial quote. So with that it looks like my decision is made. I'm going with the Harman 300i. Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Installation is between Christmas and New Year's. Might be sooner if they have a cancellation. Can't wait to experience the fun of wood burning that you all have been enjoying and hopefully see some savings on the utility bills this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.