Are these temps safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmule

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Conifer Colorado
Now that I am into cold weather and burning all day I have some higher temperatures on the wall behind my stove. The wall behind my stove has 1/2" of wonder board 1/4" mortar and 1/4 of tile on it. Since the wall is attached directly to the studs it is considered combustible Using my IR gun I am getting readings as high as 125 - 130 degrees Fahrenheit . Is this too hot? the other side of the wall is a closet and that side of wall is 90 degrees. I have the required clearances on everything I just want to make sure this is safe or should I go ahead and buy a heat shield or double wall pipe?

The stove is a woodstock fire view.

I believe it's time to be concerned and change the plan once temps start hitting the 175 - 180 degree range.

pen

As long as the clearances to combustibles are being honored or exceeded, it should be fine. 120-130 is what I see on our drywall when the stove is burning hot and hard.

Thanks for the reassurance I don't want to sound paranoid but this is a new install and I want to be safe.

BG - help me out here. Is it 70 or 90 degrees above ambient temp that is acceptable? I thought it was 70, which would make a 70 degree room have an acceptable wall temp of 140 degrees.

Correction made, that plain didn't add up, so I checked. I always remember 180F which is the normal temp for hot water heating pipes running along and through combustibles.

Those links ease my mind even more thanks for posting those.

pen said:
I believe it's time to be concerned and change the plan once temps start hitting the 175 - 180 degree range.

pen

Agreed.....heck your heat ducts from a gas furnace can see higher temps than that on a regular basis....Like BeGreen said, too, as long as you are at the manufacturers' clearance to combustibles limit you should be fine....doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.