Are these the required radiation dampers for ceiling pass through of air ducts? +Floor plan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they have the fusible link and springs to snap them shut when the link breaks. There are several maufacturers. Here is another supplier:
http://tinyurl.com/bg99g

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I couldn't find a friggin manufacturer that listed them for sale. Only descriptions! I was about ready to give up.

I'm going to attempt to evenly heat the rest of my parents house over christmas break.

Is my placement of the vent a good spot? My logic is that with a decent blower moving cold air from the upstairs down into the basement, the natural convection flow will pull the hot air up the stairs. The stairs are open all the way around to let the air flow easily.

Make sense?

Attachments

• House.JPG
    House.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 328
Can you put a vent right over the top of the stove? It works pretty good for me.

Its blowing up. I found the heat naturally went up the vent so I helped it out with a small fan. I tried blowing down, but the other way seemed more efficient and heated my upstairs livingroom pretty well.

My stove is on a far side wall, and my stairwell is in the center of my home. simular to your setup. I installed another vent oposite side wall of the stove, that one acts as a return, and my stairwell seems to do both supply and return. Lots of air movement in my house.

hmmm, i'm going to have to sit down and think about this.

I don't really want a fan blowing up right above the stove because those are two bedrooms and they're already WARM!!! to say the least.

Getting heat upstairs can be tricky. It doesn't allways work the way you want. Years ago I rented a house with a old wood stove in the basement which also had a vent above the stove into the upstairs living room, and it sucked cold air down to the stove and hot air went up the stairwell. So I thought my current house would do the same, but its the opposite. If your bedrooms are allready warm then I would stick to your original plan.

Corie,

I edited your drawing. Do you think the location you chose is too close to the stairs? Won't it cause a "short circuit" of your circulation. I put an x where I thought maybe it should be.

mike

Attachments

• House_edited.JPG
    House_edited.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 298
roac

I'm actually thinking about the same. Measured it out just now and found out my original plan puts the vent in the uninsulated, unheated garage.

That won't work :-/

Where you have the vent is the kitchen, which is a very feasible idea.

Yeah vinyl floor will allow the cold air to flow right over it smoothly, less resistance than carpeting. I'm not sure you would even need a blower for it. That cold air will be pushed down, no where else to go.

yeah you're right. Maybe before buying the blower, we'll cut the hole and see what happens.

Thing is though, we need seriously hot air to find it's way up the stairs. Hard to get the upstairs above 70 on warmer days. On these days when it's been 17 or less continuously, we have to content with 60 degrees up there.

I could care less, but you know who does not like it.

Gee let me guess... What type of ceiling in the basement do you have? Specifically above those two bedrooms? If you could insulate that particular part of the ceiling in the basement it would force the hot air out and up the stairs. Sounds like it is going straight up and getting trapped in the bedrooms. Box fan blowing up the stairs wouldn't hurt either.

the entire basement just has a sheetrock ceiling. Pulling it down to insulation would, well, be out of the question. HAH

Gonna have to try some fans, ducts, etc

Don't have to pull it down, just blow the insulation in. I would think you could blow some cellulose insulation in to take care of it. 1in hole is all that is needed. Just a thought...

edit... 1 hole per section that is, still alot of holes...

I cut three vent holes in ceiling of my family room where my stove is. One vent is one bedroom and the other two are in another bedroom. I also have a 20in fan on the floor in the family room running on low. With the fan on, the vents are cold air return, off the just let the heat rise at night. With my stove and my quad level house I need air circulation so I always have fan on of sometype.

Status
Not open for further replies.