Are used pellet stoves a gamble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebring

Oct 3, 2011
PA
Im looking at a used pellet stove for 250 and it includes the exhaust pipe. They said it needs a compustion blower. So now its 400 total. Im wondering if anything else could go wrong, then im ever closer to a new price.. ( Well, at least a spring clearance price ) Anyone ever think think this way about a used pellet stove.

We could give a more informed opinion if you let us know what the used stove is - make and model.

Anything used is a gamble, but if the price is right, it's worth it. IMO, $400 is nowhere near the price of a new stove, but a new stove would come with a warranty (if the dealer is any good at honoring it). You don't say what the used stove is, but if the pipes are in good shape, they're worth a bit, also.

Okay. I don't know what a new 25-PDVC costs. If the pipe is in good shape, I would call it a wash with the new blower, so the stove would "cost" you $250. You still don't know if it really needs (only) the blower, it might be a bad control board, or just a $5 triac. It might just be plugged with ashes, and the blower is okay - lots of unknowns here.
If it were me, and I needed a stove, I'd go for it. Unless you can examine it more closely for yourself, it's a gamble. If it turns out to be a turkey, you could sell it yourself, and recoup your costs. There seems to be quite a few "broken" stoves out there that just need a good cleaning.

Just my 2¢.

How old is it? Do you have pictures? If you've looked at it what did you think? Was it rusted? Was it cleaned? You can replace lots of components on the stove and still be under the price of a new one and they usually aren't that difficult to replace yourself. Is the person selling it a a stranger or a reliable person you know? As heat seeker says the venting alone can be hundreds of dollars alone. Will the exhaust piping that comes with it work in your application? If so this is a big bonus. Lots of variables...

my Englander 25PDVC cost me $850 new 3 years ago,,,, on sale and with a 10% coupon. A new one at lowes is I think $1095 now. 3" duravent kit is like $229. If stove looks decent, even with a new blower motor it seems worth it.
Where are u in PA? I'm a little north of Scranton.

John

sebring said:
Im looking at a used pellet stove for 250 and it includes the exhaust pipe. They said it needs a compustion blower. So now its 400 total. Im wondering if anything else could go wrong, then im ever closer to a new price.. ( Well, at least a spring clearance price ) Anyone ever think think this way about a used pellet stove.

Hello

Home depot has a new lower price on these stoves this year. However the combustion Blower from Englander Stove works is not that expensive!

25-pdvc
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Combustion Blower
http://www.englanderstoves.com/store/25-PDVC_Parts.html

In any case I would find out how old the stove is. The bottom auger motor may be worn after many years of use.

Click pics below to enlarge.

Sounds like a good deal. Good luck!

Attachments

• 25-pdvcHDprice.jpg
    25-pdvcHDprice.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 25-pdvcCombustionBlower.jpg
    25-pdvcCombustionBlower.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 286
Most people on here well tell you that when you are buying a used stove, you should be able to see it running before you open your wallet. Age of the stove, age of the stove pipe would be very important as is how handy you are with fixing things. The good thing is that Englander will give you excellent support.
Don2222 has given some very good information.
Unless you are very handy and patient, that cost for the new stove looks darn good for the long haul. There are seveal people on here who have bought used stoves for a few hundred and are very happy with them once they get them cleaned up.

I have two Harmon stoves, the 68 which I bought brand new and a 38 which I bought used from a friend for $500. My friend's wife bought the stove when he was out of town. He hated it from day one. It really hasn't had that much use, they had it cleaned every year; but they had it cleaned by a wood stove / chimney sweep type of a guy. He never cleaned it properly and it never ran correctly. Unfortunately his wife got cancer and died. I don't think she was gone 2 weeks and the stove was moved to the garage. He called me to ask what do you think it is worth? It was probably 8 or 10 years old, but not used that much. I told him $500 would be fair, he said that's what he thought. I was not interested in it at this point as it was manual start. A week goes by, and I said to myself, I could be interested in that. Long story short, I bought it and he threw in a 4000 watt generator for $500 total. I cleaned the stove from head to toe and it now runs like a champ.

So, just like buying a used car, you're probably going to have to clean it and spend a few bucks on it. Remember the $250 is only the asking price.

Tom C.

The most common reason that stoves show up is because they are more work than the original owner though they would be and as a result are likely dirty more than anything major being wrong with them.

You really should see it run before buying it that way you know that it actually operates.

If you are handy (a lot of the original owners weren't) then there is nothing that can't be put back together or worked around.

Status
Not open for further replies.