1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Are We Out of Shoulder Season????

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by joescho, Jan 17, 2012.

1. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    From everyone's description of shoulder season, the calendar certainly says we are out of shoulder season, but I'm still burning my shoulder season pellets!!! If this persists, i may not have to buy any extra "premium" pellets next year!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    It really depends on the day it seems. 40 lows tonight, but 9 the following night!
  3. Bank

Bank Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. Maine
    I'm still holding on to the 2.6 tons of CleanFire Pacifics, looks like I'll make it to next year before I burn those.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Well it appears here, that we are out of burn season let alone shoulder season. I must say my shoulders don't mind at all.
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    This last weekend had me putting the cold season stuff in. Hopper is still full of them and the sholders are back. I'll probaly get 2 plus days out of the good stuff before I have to fill it with some shoulder stuff.

Yes, We should be in the cold season, But I am not gonna complain seeing its gonna cost a heck of a lot more for the cold season stash this year compared to last. Like money in the bank IMHO! :lol:
  6. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    every day that goes above freezing is a good day for me. hate falling on the ice. i would like to think we are sending the oil industry a message, but the only ones in oil that it hurts are you neighbors who makes oil deliveries. big oil has no problem selling their products elsewhere.
  7. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Man I like burning these Okies, though. I may stick with them for a while....
  8. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    I'm burning my (cheap??) Presto-Logs and MWP's. I have 2 ton of Barefoots in stash that I just may not get to.... Next year I may only need to buy a ton of Somersets if my local Lowes gets them again.

BTW, I have found the Presto's to have quite a bit of fines..... Not sure if this is how the are, or just the batch I have.....
  9. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Reading that, is it really worth it to buy separate pellets for shoulder seasons and cold seasons? Let's say "shoulder pellets" are 25% less expensive than the good ones, if the good pellets last 25% longer, what's the difference? I suck at math but it doesn't seem worth it to me... I just burn the good stuff, and my stove will probably stay cleaner anyways.
  10. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    If you're gonna throw logic into this game, you're barking up the wrong tree!! %-P
  11. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Fine, I suppose I'll just go level out the pellets in the hopper and sulk %-P
  12. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    I completely agree with you but when you can get really decent "shoulder" pellets for 40% less, the math really does come into play. Especially for those of us with Harmans....
    It's very hard to quantify whether the "shoulders" burn faster than the "good" ones depending on the brand.
  13. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Oregon
    Well I don't have shoulder "Shells". around our house, shoulder season is using the little whitfield only and then maybe not starting it until late afternoon or evening.

The big season is when both stoves are running round the clock.

Yesterday was above and beyond the call, with both whits burning and the Quad called into action to help out too.

Snowy
  14. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh hell I'd do it for 40%, sure! My pellet-pig fu is weak, I will not find them that cheap here :(
  15. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Tough one! Unless that cheap pellet is Somersets(or similar just using them as an example). Curve ball! ;-) It's the dollar for me. More I save on fuel more I spend on toys. But I prefer not to skimp on the cold weather stuff. I'm fruggle, But not stupid! :cheese:
  16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I thought that was crazy but not stupid.