Are We Out of Shoulder Season????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
From everyone's description of shoulder season, the calendar certainly says we are out of shoulder season, but I'm still burning my shoulder season pellets!!! If this persists, i may not have to buy any extra "premium" pellets next year!!

It really depends on the day it seems. 40 lows tonight, but 9 the following night!

I'm still holding on to the 2.6 tons of CleanFire Pacifics, looks like I'll make it to next year before I burn those.

Well it appears here, that we are out of burn season let alone shoulder season. I must say my shoulders don't mind at all.

This last weekend had me putting the cold season stuff in. Hopper is still full of them and the sholders are back. I'll probaly get 2 plus days out of the good stuff before I have to fill it with some shoulder stuff.

Yes, We should be in the cold season, But I am not gonna complain seeing its gonna cost a heck of a lot more for the cold season stash this year compared to last. Like money in the bank IMHO! :lol:

every day that goes above freezing is a good day for me. hate falling on the ice. i would like to think we are sending the oil industry a message, but the only ones in oil that it hurts are you neighbors who makes oil deliveries. big oil has no problem selling their products elsewhere.

I'm burning my (cheap??) Presto-Logs and MWP's. I have 2 ton of Barefoots in stash that I just may not get to.... Next year I may only need to buy a ton of Somersets if my local Lowes gets them again.

BTW, I have found the Presto's to have quite a bit of fines..... Not sure if this is how the are, or just the batch I have.....

j-takeman said:
This last weekend had me putting the cold season stuff in. Hopper is still full of them and the sholders are back. I'll probaly get 2 plus days out of the good stuff before I have to fill it with some shoulder stuff.

Reading that, is it really worth it to buy separate pellets for shoulder seasons and cold seasons? Let's say "shoulder pellets" are 25% less expensive than the good ones, if the good pellets last 25% longer, what's the difference? I suck at math but it doesn't seem worth it to me... I just burn the good stuff, and my stove will probably stay cleaner anyways.

76brian said:
j-takeman said:

Reading that, is it really worth it to buy separate pellets for shoulder seasons and cold seasons? Let's say "shoulder pellets" are 25% less expensive than the good ones, if the good pellets last 25% longer, what's the difference? I suck at math but it doesn't seem worth it to me... I just burn the good stuff, and my stove will probably stay cleaner anyways.

If you're gonna throw logic into this game, you're barking up the wrong tree!! %-P

Eatonpcat said:
If you're gonna throw logic into this game, you're barking up the wrong tree!! %-P

Fine, I suppose I'll just go level out the pellets in the hopper and sulk %-P

76brian said:
j-takeman said:

I completely agree with you but when you can get really decent "shoulder" pellets for 40% less, the math really does come into play. Especially for those of us with Harmans....
It's very hard to quantify whether the "shoulders" burn faster than the "good" ones depending on the brand.

Well I don't have shoulder "Shells". around our house, shoulder season is using the little whitfield only and then maybe not starting it until late afternoon or evening.

The big season is when both stoves are running round the clock.

Yesterday was above and beyond the call, with both whits burning and the Quad called into action to help out too.

Snowy

Harman Lover 007 said:
76brian said:
j-takeman said:

I completely agree with you but when you can get really decent "shoulder" pellets for 40% less, the math really does come into play. Especially for those of us with Harmans....
It's very hard to quantify whether the "shoulders" burn faster than the "good" ones depending on the brand.

Oh hell I'd do it for 40%, sure! My pellet-pig fu is weak, I will not find them that cheap here :(

Harman Lover 007 said:
76brian said:
j-takeman said:

Tough one! Unless that cheap pellet is Somersets(or similar just using them as an example). Curve ball! ;-) It's the dollar for me. More I save on fuel more I spend on toys. But I prefer not to skimp on the cold weather stuff. I'm fruggle, But not stupid! :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
76brian said:
j-takeman said:

Tough one! Unless that cheap pellet is Somersets(or similar just using them as an example). Curve ball! ;-) It's the dollar for me. More I save on fuel more I spend on toys. But I prefer not to skimp on the cold weather stuff. I'm fruggle, But not stupid! :cheese:

I thought that was crazy but not stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.