Are you already burning pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Have you already had to fire up your pellet stove?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, The stove is set to go. The warmer temps have stopped me for now.

I have a long list of pellets to try!

I ran mine 3 times so far, but only because the first burn was after I had to install a new flue liner, and found out I had a tiny puff of smoke at the joint on the back of the insert, we put some high temp silicone on it and let it cure, but still on the second burn there was a persistant little wisp of smoke from the joint, so we resealed it again, and burned it once more, and this time all was perfect, no smell, no smoke.

I was going to fire it up a few times on a couple of chilly mornings but I didnt, only the 3 times to test it out after the new flue pipe went in.

Since I'm a new Englander 10-CPM owner, I guess I was itchin to try the stove, so I ran it on and off for about 3 nights last week when it was cold (low 40's here).....burned maybe 3/4 bag of pellets. No burning since Friday, though. Supposed to get down to low 40's again this weekend here, so may be burning a little more then.

Only done a test burn, and that was because of some posts on here about people having pellet stove problems... Probably will be late Oct. or early Nov. before I start burning on a regular basis!!!

started up last tuesday, refilled and cleaned today mon. 10/5, mostly heat called for at night and morning, also preheating hot water for water heater. So far 6 bags for six days.

I voted "no" because I didn't have to start up. But there was a cool rainy night, so I did a test burn for part of a bag. Wanted to be sure everything is good to go. In another week or two, I'll be starting to burn for real.

Still to warm in mid Mo to burn. few upcoming nights may get down to 40. The house has not got down past 70 yet with no heat.

Maybe I need to start looking for some pellets, because someone said winter is around the corner.

I have been running ours in the evening, for an hour or so, for the last week just because it is so relaxing to see the flame.

The pellet stove auto starts via the programable thermostat in the morning to take the chill off. Again just for a short time to keep the furnace from coming on.

36 degrees on the outside here this morning according to our thermometer. Nice and toasty on the inside.

Answer is "No way Jose". It's 70F in here and my stove doesn't get lit
until it's cold enough to leave it running 24/7 though I have it all clean
and ready to rock when that time comes.

I burned 2 bags so far, stemming from my test burn. i didn't need to, and in fact, by day 2 it was too damn hot in the house so i had to kill it. I'm all set for the season and LOVE this time of year. very pretty with the rees changing, the crisp cool nights by the stove.... ahhh :)

Ran the XXV for a couple hours one day last week just to get the chill out of
the house. The Advance was just recently installed so only fired it up to
check for leaks and/or problems.

Still too warm yet to run them.

I had some friends up from Florida for the SU vs. USF football game this passed weekend. I had to warm the house for these thin blooded folks. The kids slept in the living room where the stove is located. It ran all night (t-stat set to 75) and they still needed 3 blankets.

Off & on burns starting Sept. 15th. Burning steady since 10/1. 17 bags in 20 days. Wet snow forcast for this weekend.

Fired up stove yesterday morning for a couple hours to get the chill off. Mean temperature for yesterday was 31 degrees with snow, and an overnight low of 19 degrees. I fired up the stove last night and ran it until the sun came out this morning about 9:00. The temperature is currently 29 degrees outside and a toasty 76 degrees inside at 10:30.

Wife went out one night last week..... so I opened all the windows, grabbed a beer, turned the stove on and watched the dogs curl up in front of it!

I just use my Whitfield Adv T-II last night 39 outside, 72 inside on 1.
It's that time of year again....
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

TboneMan said:
I had some friends up from Florida for the SU vs. USF football game this passed weekend. I had to warm the house for these thin blooded folks. The kids slept in the living room where the stove is located. It ran all night (t-stat set to 75) and they still needed 3 blankets.

Haha, that's how my wife is. I think you just get used to wherever you're from. Canada is way too ****ing cold for both of us, though. :)

yes, a few times...not even one bag total yet but probably 1/2
We are supposed to get down to 36 Sunday and Monday night so it will be on then.

Bag of pellets is loaded and thermostat is set 2 degrees above oil thermostat.... pellet stove decides when it is time to start and stop. Overall 1 bag has lasted almost a week so far....

Not a chance. Close up the windows and hold the heat for the evening. A couple times we tossed on the electric space heaters in the bedrooms on really low. Electric blankets went on the beds today though. There will be plenty of time to burn coming up. Its almost time to go get my corn for the season, they can keep their high priced pellets.

Had to? No. But I had the urge to fire up the stove a few times...and i did. Nice to know everythings working well before the REAL cold gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.