Are you building or buying your hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveo

Jun 6, 2008
Maine
I am planning on doing a corner installation of my P68 and was planning on building the hearth pad myself. What is everyone else doing for a hearth pad, building or buying and if you are buying where are all the good deals?

I couldn't find any hearth pads at a reasonable price. None are sold locally down here in the South, and all the ones online after shipping was outrageous. So, I built mine. I guess the higher your R value, the more complicated it will be for you to build it. My hearth pad didn't have to have a R value, just a noncombustable surface. I made it out of one sheet of plywood on bottom, 2 layers of Durcock and Ceramic tile on top. If you are handy with tools, and have them, I think the cheapest option is to build it. Some airspace under something like what I have should give you a pretty good R value.

I ended up building mine out of some really nice green marble and then framed it out with oak.

Built mine out of 3/4" plywood and rose marble from HD with an accent of river rocks around it.
Trim is poly pine I think,whatever moulding comes in lol

My Harman XXV is being installed in two weeks. I built the hearth myself with 1/2" cement board and standard ceramic tiles. Just over $100 in materials when all is said and done.

My Harman XXV is being installed in two weeks. I built the hearth myself with 1/2" cement board and standard ceramic tiles. Just over $100 in materials when all is said and done. I verified everything with my local fire dept just to be sure and I should be good to go.

I just finished my homemade hearth. The manual for my Castile says that the hearth only needs to be UL compliant and my building inspector approved mine. I removed all the flooring down to the sub-floor which turned out to be 3/4"x4" tongue & groove pine. I then installed a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood over that. Then I installed a 1/2" sheet of Durock over that and finished it with tile (using thinset) and grout. I cut some scrap pine for a border which is only temporary until we install new oak wood flooring, then I'll use oak.

I'm very pleased with it.

Steve

Attachments

• Stove15_crop.jpg
    Stove15_crop.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,062
Status
Not open for further replies.