1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Are you building or buying your hearth pad?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Steveo, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steveo

Steveo Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I am planning on doing a corner installation of my P68 and was planning on building the hearth pad myself. What is everyone else doing for a hearth pad, building or buying and if you are buying where are all the good deals?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nic36

Nic36 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Decatur, Alabama
    I couldn't find any hearth pads at a reasonable price. None are sold locally down here in the South, and all the ones online after shipping was outrageous. So, I built mine. I guess the higher your R value, the more complicated it will be for you to build it. My hearth pad didn't have to have a R value, just a noncombustable surface. I made it out of one sheet of plywood on bottom, 2 layers of Durcock and Ceramic tile on top. If you are handy with tools, and have them, I think the cheapest option is to build it. Some airspace under something like what I have should give you a pretty good R value.
  3. compressedwoodsupplier

compressedwoodsupplier New Member

Loc:
    maine
    I have hearth pads for sale the lowest price one is $225.00 comes in only two colors nite sky and cinnamon
  4. Steveo

Steveo Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I ended up building mine out of some really nice green marble and then framed it out with oak.
  5. BignBeefy

BignBeefy Member

Loc:
    Sandown,NH
    Built mine out of 3/4" plywood and rose marble from HD with an accent of river rocks around it.
    Trim is poly pine I think,whatever moulding comes in lol
  6. atheriault

atheriault New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    My Harman XXV is being installed in two weeks. I built the hearth myself with 1/2" cement board and standard ceramic tiles. Just over $100 in materials when all is said and done.
  7. atheriault

atheriault New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    My Harman XXV is being installed in two weeks. I built the hearth myself with 1/2" cement board and standard ceramic tiles. Just over $100 in materials when all is said and done. I verified everything with my local fire dept just to be sure and I should be good to go.
  8. thekid_1

thekid_1 New Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I am in the process of building my own
  9. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    I just finished my homemade hearth. The manual for my Castile says that the hearth only needs to be UL compliant and my building inspector approved mine. I removed all the flooring down to the sub-floor which turned out to be 3/4"x4" tongue & groove pine. I then installed a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood over that. Then I installed a 1/2" sheet of Durock over that and finished it with tile (using thinset) and grout. I cut some scrap pine for a border which is only temporary until we install new oak wood flooring, then I'll use oak.

I'm very pleased with it.

Steve

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.