Are you getting that good dry wood ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
The next few days are goning to be cold for us in the NE. Accuweather is showing it down to 3 degrees tonight for us.

Matt

Good dry wood is all I have and is always ready. Have only 3 and 4 year old wood in the shed. Mostly double digit freezing daytime temps and -23°C overrnight as the coldest. Still nothing like some of the -30°C - 40°C we sometimes get this time of year.

Not much snow on the ground or on the roof to act as insulation though.

Temps are supposed to slide all day into single digits tonite and top out in teens here tommorow (and windy). I pulled out a few loads of maple out of the pile- my oak is being a PIA, seems like it needs 3+years drying time...

I have been putting all the oak aside when I load the stove. It'll come in handy when trying to get a reasonable amount of burn time when the temp bottoms out.

If I had some 2/3 seasoned stuff, I might throw a few splits in with a full load. It shouldn't affect the draft or slow the fire down too much tonight

matt

I still gotta get more wood into the garage, just been putting in too many hours at work. I just starting to get into the "good wood" in the rack, before the stuff was questionable, so the timing is right...the stove gonna get a workout for sure.

I always try to have good dry wood ready, not just when it gets cold. But this year we have dry hardwood ready and I am really enjoying locust and madrona fires. It is sooooo nice to wake up to a warm house and a full bed of coals 10hrs after the stove was last loaded.

I have a 2 cords set aside for arctic temps. Brought some in this morning to test the 2.5 year aged White Oak and it's ready. Loaded it up this morning and had it shut down about 45 minutes later with a full display of secondaries burning. I guess you can say I'm ready. :) Oh yeah, forgot to mention a full fridge of cold ones, good food and friends for a Pats vs Tebo playoff game tonight!

The really good stuff (black locust, sugar maple) has been ready for over a year. The monsoon rains this summer/fall l caused it to rise to ~15% MC, but it's drying nicely indoors. Performance difference in the stove is quite noticeable.

Just recently finished burning the piles of so-so shoulder season stuff. Good timing. Splitting now for '14-'15 (red oak & black cherry.)

Funny how Rush and Hannity are silent this year about climate patterns. Okay, pathetic, not funny.

18 degrees here last night. Loaded the stove with mostly locust and a little maple at 10.....6 this morning was still some nice big chunks of solid red. Love that locust almost like burning coal.

EatenByLimestone said:
The next few days are goning to be cold for us in the NE. Accuweather is showing it down to 3 degrees tonight for us. Matt

It is 3:53PM and the temp. on the back porch is 6 degrees right now. Suppose to be a low between 10-15 below where I am at. Early this morning it was -2. Had a high today of 7 earlier. Storm on Thursday and Friday that took the power out. Seems winter has finally arrived. All my wood is dry, 18-22% M.C. On Thursday, I did bring a little more nice ash into the basement for the weekend. This is next years wood taken today while shoveling. :grrr:

Attachments

• DSCF1850 (1280x960).jpg
    DSCF1850 (1280x960).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 328
Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
Temps are supposed to slide all day into single digits tonite and top out in teens here tommorow (and windy). I pulled out a few loads of maple out of the pile- my oak is being a PIA, seems like it needs 3+years drying time...

Same here, I just spent the afternoon rotating my wood, I thoguth there was something amiss with my stove, turns out the two year seasoned oak was the problem. Three years from now on.

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:

Oak is great wood, but Maple is soooooooooo much easier to season.

I'm still using the catalpa/willow/cottonwood mix. I'll break out the Pine if it gets below zero!

stejus said:
I have a 2 cords set aside for arctic temps. Brought some in this morning to test the 2.5 year aged White Oak and it's ready. Loaded it up this morning and had it shut down about 45 minutes later with a full display of secondaries burning. I guess you can say I'm ready. :) Oh yeah, forgot to mention a full fridge of cold ones, good food and friends for a Pats vs Tebo playoff game tonight!

+1

Supposed to be 0-2F here tonight. I spent a good chunk of the day splitting and stacking next years wood. Could definitely feel the chill as the sun started to disappear....

Wood rack in the basement was getting low so I re-stocked it this morning with some nice big chunks of BL and Red Oak for these frigid temps. Seems like mixing the two species together works well for me.

Just as the weather finally turned cold I got into a part of the stack with tons of 2 inch rounds. I am sure that goes to show you something. I started removing wood on the other end and found some good stuff.

EatenByLimestone said:
The next few days are goning to be cold for us in the NE. Accuweather is showing it down to 3 degrees tonight for us.

Matt

Minus 9-13 tonight depending on which site you go by, still burning Cherry at the moment,79 in the basement (location of the Liberty) 70 in the upstairs livingroom.

We have some nice ironwood that is going in for the overnight burn.

zap

Brought in two wheel barrows of pine and one of apple, maple and very dry oak. Ready for a few days of cold.

Locust Post said:
18 degrees here last night. Loaded the stove with mostly locust and a little maple at 10.....6 this morning was still some nice big chunks of solid red. Love that locust almost like burning coal.
Locust is my fave too!.....have lots on hand and yer right, it's like burning coal.

The 3 YO oak is in Da' house :)

Along with some oak rounds for over nights. Plus maple, locust. We're good!

So glad I loaded up on 9 cords of firewood this year. It's like being in a winery, and having free rein
cool-smiley-008.gif

We had a bunch of snow (18 plus inches over several days) now it has dropped to -10 during the day, -20 at night. I love this weather because it is clear and so beautiful. Stovezilla is working on a mix of spruce and birch, and is keeping the whole house pretty warm. 70 plus downstairs, mid sixties upstairs. Teenagers are having to haul more wood, so their complaining adds extra warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.