Are you on twitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
These days, I get almost all of my news through my twitter feed. I also get lots of great links from many folks who share common interests.

I know some people don't see the point to twitter, but I find a lot of value in it.

So, are you on twitter? If so, what is your handle?

I'm @mpgehrisch.

Also, do you have any suggestions for other interesting users to follow who are into wood heat, green living, self sufficient living, or other outdoor activities?

-SF

I started tweeting for the Bangor Fire Department . . . BangorFireDept.

im on twitter, yet i do not and will not have a facebook acct. mainly follow racing related people and a few others that i find interesting. I do get alot of my daily info from twitter. When something happens (like that earthquake on the eastcoast awhile back) the information flow is near instant. way faster than the local or even national news. thats what i like about it, unfiltered information. some interesting people that i like are @vice and @joerogan.

My cell phone doesn't even take pictures, much less text...and I'm just fine with that. :coolsmile:

I'd have to upgrade to a new phone.

You don't have to have a cell phone to use twitter. They have a web interface that works in a regular browser, so don't let that stop you!

-SF

SlyFerret said:
These days, I get almost all of my news through my twitter feed.

-SF

I'm curious about that. Isn' twitter limited to very short statements? If so, that would seem like getting news through headlines which can be quite misleading. I don't tweet, so excuse my naivete. Tweets are saved for our bird feeders.

fossil said:
My cell phone doesn't even take pictures, much less text...and I'm just fine with that. :coolsmile:

And I'm the very last person in the world who doesn't have any kind of cell phone. Gotcha beat!

BeGreen said:
SlyFerret said:
These days, I get almost all of my news through my twitter feed.

-SF

I'm curious about that. Isn' twitter limited to very short statements? If so, that would seem like getting news through headlines which can be quite misleading. I don't tweet, so excuse my naivete. Tweets are saved for our bird feeders.

A brief headline, and a link to the article or photograph get posted in the news source's twitter feed.

While I do use a twitter app on my phone, I mostly use a little desktop applet called "Twirl" on my computer. I keep it off to the right side of my screen on my home/work computers. It's a tall skinny little window that just scrolls with new items in my feed as they come in. It's awesome for breaking news.

-SF

gyrfalcon said:
fossil said:

And I'm the very last person in the world who doesn't have any kind of cell phone. Gotcha beat!

I haven't got the cell itch either. People want my number, I tell them to check the local phone listings.
I'm the only one in it. :lol:
Kenny

Personally I don't understand not having a cell phone. I travel in sub zero temps, ride the snowmobile through east Jesus, and cut wood alone. I consider it a lifesaver in certain circumstances. I do respect those who don't have all of the latest gadgets just to keep up with the Jones. I am watching tv on a very old set and it it just fine with me.

Edit-you don't need to keep the phone on.....it's just nice to have it.

Jack Straw said:
Personally I don't understand not having a cell phone. I travel in sub zero temps, ride the snowmobile through east Jesus, and cut wood alone. I consider it a lifesaver in certain circumstances. I do respect those who don't have all of the latest gadgets just to keep up with the Jones. I am watching tv on a very old set and it it just fine with me.

Edit-you don't need to keep the phone on.....it's just nice to have it.

Agreed, I use my cell phone for mostly one minute calls to family. Tracfone has a monthly family account that is very cheap, and I
always have lots of minutes that carry over to the next month.

Twitter is useful for following the news. I mostly follow "reporters" and "columnists" to get quick access/alerts to new stuff that is online.

BeGreen said:
Isn' twitter limited to very short statements?

256 characters.

And NO - I don't tweet. Once I leave my office, my technology switch gets set to off. Then I stare at fire and grunt and usually stuff my face with cooked animal and beer.

(as a reference, BG - the part that I typed above is 187 characters long).

and we wonder why no one has any personal communication anymore
as I sit here "talking" to my imaginary friends

ironpony said:
and we wonder why no one has any personal communication anymore
as I sit here "talking" to my imaginary friends

I'll be your friend.

And Jags will too . . . but you have to send him a hat . . . or a beer. ;)

ironpony said:
I could send him a hat

but he would have to be my best friend

That would depend on the hat you send him.

firefighterjake said:
ironpony said:
I could send him a hat

but he would have to be my best friend

That would depend on the hat you send him.

Operators are standing by. Let the bidding begin.

what kind of hat would you like????

Attachments

• imagesCAUVFIQE.jpg
    imagesCAUVFIQE.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 119
or maybe this to match the hat

Attachments

• QS&L April 10 2011 036.jpg
    QS&L April 10 2011 036.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 125
ironpony said:
or maybe this to match the hat

This one. It would look purdy right next to my old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.