Are you ready for Cato?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Winter storm Cato is going to hit inland east coast tomorrow with heavy rain, sleet and snow. My area is forecasted to receive between 12-16" of wet heavy snow, while 10 miles away they should get between 4-8" of snow. I will be taking pictures though out today showing how I am getting ready, there is a chance that this will be a wet heavy snow event so there is a possibility of scattered power outages. I also have a huge half dead oak tree probably greater than 250yrs old that hopefully come down ( has a good lean to it)

I still refuse to acknowledge these named winter storms. . . . when I was younger it was just a snow storm . . . hurricanes had names, not every storm that blew through.

I don't like the naming of the winter storms either, but I'll run with it because its funny what the media does to boast there ratings " in the name of $afety"

Reactions: brant2000
This is when procrastinating bites you in the butt. I waited a little too long to put a new roof on my garage....it involved reframing everything and building a new support beam. The process took longer than expected and just got finished.

Now guess what....all the stuff that was in the garage is stacked on top of my wood stacks 150' away from the house. Guess what this coming weekends project was? Put the stuff back in the garage and bring 3 cords of wood to the house.

Going to be a little difficult with a bunch of snow on the ground....and on my wood stacks.

3 days ago there was no storm on the horizon, and no need to rush. Now all of a sudden snowmageddon is here. Great.

I don't like named winter storms, or a polar vortex.

I've been wondering what the hot new weather trend would be this year, but there doesn't seem to be anything exciting. Maybe 'polar vortex' was big enough to get another season out of it.

"Weather Weenies" are just looking for ways to sensationalize weather events , im with Jake, to me its silly to "name" snowstorms, did the lake effect last week that dumped all that snow on Buffalo have a name?

look back at hurricane Sandy, wasnt a massive hurricane as they go , ive lived in the southeast all my civilian life , and seen storms over the years that made sandy look like a spring shower, but sandy was labeled a "superstorm"? really? hate to think what it would have looked like if a Katrina, or Camille had hit up there. from what ive read Hazel may have been more powerful than sandy (back in the 50's) followed almost the same track as sandy did ,. difference is the cost of the damage (inflation i guess) and the media coverage

This winter storm naming thing came from The Weather Channel. Our local weather guys never mention the names.

This winter storm naming thing came from The Weather Channel. Our local weather guys never mention the names.

Sadly, the Weather Channel in the last few years has gone from being a voice of calm when everyone else is overhyping things to now leading the hype.

That's when they're even covering the weather and not running some reality show...

I don't like the naming of the winter storms either, but I'll run with it because its funny what the media does to boast there ratings " in the name of $afety"

Insurance companies also reduce coverage for named storms FYI

Next they will be naming rain storms,

and sunny days.:rolleyes:

It is true that some policies raise the deductible for damage for a storm named by the National Weather Service "any other recognized meteorological authority." To date, I don't think insurance companies have deemed The Weather Channel as a "recognized meteorological authority."

The Insurance Information Institute, an industry group, said in 2013 that the Weather Channel names wouldn't trigger those policy provisions. It's statements aren't binding on insurers but I think most would follow this.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2013/02/14/281286.htm

Sadly, the Weather Channel .....
That's when they're even covering the weather and not running some reality show...

Or re-running it for the 15th time.

My policy with Lib Mut cites a "Named Storm" exclusionary clause also. First noticed it a half dozen years ago.
I don't recall the fine print, but for that reason hearing the weather channel naming storms bugs the heck out of me too!

The Insurance Information Institute, an industry group, said in 2013 that the Weather Channel names wouldn't trigger those policy provisions. It's statements aren't binding on insurers but I think most would follow this.

And that uncertainty drives my annoyance!

This post however is giving me the inspiration to reread my policy,... now where did I put it?

i wonder if the recent "naming" policy would affect the policies if they were signed before this type of storm's being named occurred, one would almost think you could argue it as "ex post facto" i dunno if it would apply to civil contracts the same as in criminal law but im not a lawyer so i guess i shouldnt know ;em

i wonder if the recent "naming" policy would affect the policies if they were signed before this type of storm's being named occurred, one would almost think you could argue it as "ex post facto" i dunno if it would apply to civil contracts the same as in criminal law but im not a lawyer so i guess i shouldnt know ;em

Mike, there is certainly an argument that things shouldn't change after the policy is issued, though ex post facto specifically refers to criminal laws. There is a similar concept for contracts. However, most insurance policies only run for a year, and TWC started naming winter storms with Sandy in 2012 so most policies in effect today would have been renewed after winter storms started to be named.

However, there is a legal doctrine that because the insurance companies write the policy language, the policies are construed in the manner least favorable to them, so it is likely that the "any other recognized meteorological authority" would be taken to refer to another governmental entity and not a member of the media.

As I've posted, I'm pretty sure that the industry has not tried to push this one. I think there would have been a howl about it if they had. Instead, there's just a handful of blog posts talking about the possibility, and some industry guidance that the named storms provision applies only to tropical storms named by the NWS or NOAA.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
which certainly proves the need for my "disclaimer" about being a member of the bar ( not a member but attend a bar occasionally)

thanks danimal glad someone knew what i was talking about incorrect as i was

Here's today's prep work image.jpgimage.jpgbring wood in the garageimage.jpgput the plow on the truckimage.jpgimage.jpgclean up all the left over leavesimage.jpgsecure the tarps on my 3 year plan.. I have one more but I need a little darkness

Reactions: ColdNH
fairly ready, would have liked to have another cord of hardwood stacked in the garage but I'm guessing I will have another opportunity before real winter sets in. I cant imagine this snow will last that long considering the ground is completely unfrozen.

in a mad rush put up the christmas lights last night. still need to get new tires for the truck, but the snowblower and sleds are prepped and ready to go.

The 1st storm of the season is always a major pita, but now it's time to sit back and take in the views... So far about an inch and a halfimage.jpg

image.jpg Up to 6 inches now... Trees are getting very heavy, I can hear limbs snapping in the woods

Status
Not open for further replies.