Are you ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
For the burning season to come to an end?
I really enjoy heating with wood and the savings it provides, not to mention the "warmer heat" you get.
Wood burning is rewarding in more ways than one, but, sometimes I am just as happy to see the season end as I am when it begins.
Even though this was only my second season burning, I have learned alot, thanks to this site. I still have some issues, like the occasional over fire, but I will eventually figure it all out!?
I know alot of you still have plenty of burning season left, especially our friends up in AK, but I am looking forward to spring and warmer temps. Here in SW Ohio, March can bring just about anything, so I still have some burning left myself.

I'm amazed at the difference from last year to this year. Last year was hell. This year, piece of cake.

And, I'm ahead 1 year *sweet smile*

I was ready for it to end by Thanksgiving. :coolsmirk:

After the 30th season or so it gets old fast.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I'm amazed at the difference from last year to this year. Last year was hell. This year, piece of cake.

And, I'm ahead 1 year *sweet smile*

Yes! Definately a much milder winter and a whole lot less wood burned this year. I too, am at least 1 year ahead, especially since I did not use as much this year.

I honestly can't believe how little I have burned this winter.

Now I'm looking at a convenient place to stop for the winter in the wood pile and hoping that will be enough to carry me through. Used to plan on 5.5 to 6 cord a winter. Then I went to an EPA stove and haven't burned more than 4.5 cord a winter and had 5 ready to go for this year. 2 of those cords are in a holz hausen. If luck has it, I can get through on only 3 cord and won't have to touch the holz hausen and have it whole for next winter.

But, if I have to take some off of it so be it, no way in hell I'm going to be cold in my own home. Just would be nice to leave it whole and nice looking for another year out back.

pen

BrotherBart said:

How'd the pellet stove work out?

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

It is fine for when I am doing stuff in the basement. Which was why I put it on the flue down there. I can start it up and shut it down as needed. I ran it for a day to see if it would heat the house and that ain't happening.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

It is fine for when I am doing stuff in the basement. Which was why I put it on the flue down there. I can start it up and shut it down as needed. I ran it for a day to see if it would heat the house and that ain't happening.

You're doomed, BB.

Is solar an option?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
You're doomed, BB.

Is solar an option?

Nope. Just keep feeding the stove is the only option. :lol:

I am ready. Although I enjoy using the wood stove I prefer summer to winter and I am anxious for the trails to dry up a little so I can run my usual trails without getting muddy.

My firewood situation is like Pen's in that the second half of the wood I planned to burn this winter is in a holz hausen which looks a lot nicer whole than it will half taken apart. I am hoping it will remain whole for the summer, and right now it looks like it will. The first half of my wood was also in a holz hausen and that one is down to about half a cord, but I have burned only about 1 1/2 cords all winter so another half cord should be enough for March. I have some miscellaneous piles that I can use before I bust up that holz hausen, but if I have to use it I will.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

BB - not converting, but curious.... from a cold start, how long before the pellet stove makes heat?
Gabe

Honestly it doesn't matter when it starts or ends . . . it is what it is . . . as Pen said . . . I burn wood to keep warm and keep warm as cheaply as possible . . . the added benefits of the visual show is just the icing on the cake. I've got my routines -- daily (loading the woodbox, filling up the humidifier, reloading the stove), weekly (loading up the wood on the porch, cleaning the glass and hearth) and monthly (checking and cleaning the chimney) -- so by now it doesn't affect me much . . . well I will have more time in the morning when I stop burning . . . but who knows when that will be . . . could be April . . . could be May . . . could be even later.

+1 and +1

Can't wait to start running my dog on the trails by the Yough and also have a cord of wood in my basement (basement is huge 40' x 40') that I had put there in expectation of using it all up this winter. The locust is so dry it is shedding fine dust every time a breeze goes thru the basement when I open all the doors.

Wood Duck said:
I am ready. Although I enjoy using the wood stove I prefer summer to winter and I am anxious for the trails to dry up a little so I can run my usual trails without getting muddy.

My firewood situation is like Pen's in that the second half of the wood I planned to burn this winter is in a holz hausen which looks a lot nicer whole than it will half taken apart. I am hoping it will remain whole for the summer, and right now it looks like it will. The first half of my wood was also in a holz hausen and that one is down to about half a cord, but I have burned only about 1 1/2 cords all winter so another half cord should be enough for March. I have some miscellaneous piles that I can use before I bust up that holz hausen, but if I have to use it I will.

Yes and no. I'll miss my fire, but I can't wait to get to the garden and have my beach back (they raise the lake during the winter apparently, so the beach dissapeared). I'm also staring down a big ole pile of wood to CSS. But mostly I can't wait to get my flower garden in. I've literally been planning it since our offer on the cottage was accepted and now I'm even more determined to make it beautiful as a memorial of sorts to my gram who just passed away. She LOVED flowers and birds, and the gardens will be planned to provide food and habitat for birds, bees, butterflies and us (there will be multiple gardens). I'm starting with some fruit trees/shrubs (peach, pear, service berry and cranberry) and the butterfly/hummingbird garden.

BrotherBart said:

X100!

does it ever really end?? sure we may not light any fires inside but i've got a BIG pile of splits i need to stack, i need to clean the stacking area and order another load of logs. and of course the outside fires

Yes and no. Yes because we are almost out of dry wood and i would like my porch back. No because this is our first year with a stove and we are still learning. I have gotten pretty decent at loading for an overnight. When we first started, one of us would have to get up and reload about 2:30am. Now we know how to load so there are coals left at 5 when I get up. The novelty of it has worn off and we are just into a good routine now, so when ever it ends is fine.

BrotherBart said:

Put another 20+ years onto that.... I really don't mind when it comes to an end either.

Fod01 said:
BB - not converting, but curious.... from a cold start, how long before the pellet stove makes heat?
Gabe

Never timed it but the room air blower comes on and throws heat after maybe ten minutes. Maybe a little less.

Well, I just figured it out. We've gone through just shy of 2.5 cords this winter. Sure doesn't sound like a lot, does it? I was figuring 3.5-4 cord per yr.

If this is a weather change then we've got enough wood for 3+ yrs. stacked already. :) It won't work out that way but sure is nice to think it might. :)

Once I'm in the routine of 24/7, it just seems to become a way of life - I'll be happy to stop, but I'm also not sick of burning - it's just what I do. Also, on most days I simply load the stove 3 times - the Manny is simple to run - not a big deal. But......this is my second full season burning - my story might change 10, 20......50 years from now.......Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Once I'm in the routine of 24/7, it just seems to become a way of life - I'll be happy to stop, but I'm also not sick of burning - it's just what I do. Also, on most days I simply load the stove 3 times - the Manny is simple to run - not a big deal. But......this is my second full season burning - my story might change 10, 20......50 years from now.......Cheers!

That was the interesting thing the past two winters. For the first time in years we could burn around the clock for a couple of months. Our normal winters are start and stop. Start and stop. That is what gets old. 24/7 was a piece of cake.

+2. I've finally got long burns down pat with the T6. As long as the temp stays below 40F I can burn on 3 reloads a day without overheating the place, yet keeping it about 70-72F during the day and evening. That's a routine I can live with and enjoy.

BrotherBart said:
NH_Wood said:

That was the interesting thing the past two winters. For the first time in years we could burn around the clock for a couple of months. Our normal winters are start and stop. Start and stop. That is what gets old. 24/7 was a piece of cake.

BB - yes, I would think that constant cold starts would get old. Consistent loading on hot coals is very easy (less time consuming) in comparison for sure! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.