ARE YOU RUNNING OUT OF FIREWOOD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

detmurds

Jun 2, 2006
Seabeck, WA
aol.com
Well, I have burned most of my firewood at this point (20 Feb 07) here in Western Washington. I started out with what I still think was enough wood to last the entire winter, but being a new "wood heating guy" I burned my wood too hot and burned it fast. Just wondering if I am the only person to do this so far this winter. I think that seasoned wood is going for about 180.00 per cord at this time of the year around here. Otherwise, I have started an entire new inventory of firewood for next winter via the Washington State DNR,...IT'S FREE! Got about 2 cords on limited time basis.

Well the jet stream's gone south and we have another cool spell upon us. So wrench I am there with you. We are ok for a few weeks if it settles down. But if this goes long into March then we'll be burning into the reserves. There seems little doubt that the shed will be empty by summer.

Yep...gettin' to the bottom of the rack.

First year burning, so I guess this is called a "rookie mistake"?

I'll take my lumps this year, but next winter will be much different!

About 3 Cord left, burning less and less as the temperature comes up. I'm expecting to end the season with about 1.5 Cord left. Looking forward to cutting about 7-10 cord this year and I'll have the new saw to do it!

TMonter said:
About 3 Cord left, burning less and less as the temperature comes up. I'm expecting to end the season with about 1.5 Cord left. Looking forward to cutting about 7-10 cord this year and I'll have the new saw to do it!

You'll go through cutting 7-10 cords with your new toy and say "THATS IT"? .... Then you'll have to put it to bed till next year. :long:

I'm out of dry stuff. Burning undesireable, but its burning, and I am burning it HOT. Mixing pine with white oak.

The West Coast through the Rockies had an exceptionally cold December and January. Can't judge normal by this year. I think I burned a ton of pellets from December 15 through January 15. Use this year as a benchmark. Plan this as a minimum, and if you are worried about a really bad year, add to your reserve.

I burn pellets. I am adding another stove for the shop, was a little chilly at -11*F. So I will plan on 2 ton minimum for the house, and 3 ton for the shop. If I have a couple left over, OK. As I say, they don't eat, I can store them. That's twice this years expected use.

Now that I've said that, just watch we'll get a Seward Express and have another ten days of below zero weather.

In this up and down Colorado weather, at times colder than usual, went through 4 1/2 cords of oak, black locust, the occasional cottonwood only because I have some around, and pinon when I 'discovered' how awsome it was, and that I could cut some ready to go about 35 minutes from where I live. Things were getting down there, until a local tree service started in the neighborhood. In two weeks they've left over 4 to 5 cords for me, in of a 1/4 to 1/2 a cord. And they will be cutting three times more area in the next two weeks, and they will leave me with as much as I want. At this rate, I may end up with 8-10 cords, and I still plan on going out for 3-5 more cords of pinon too. And, I have lines on black locust a few minutes away too... I am a happy camper.

Got about 1 1/2 cords think i will make it. Another six cords bucked not split and another cord
bucked seasoned and ready to split.Will order another six cords of tree length when this is all cleaned up.
The on going cycle :bug:

7 cords back there still.

Funny though...The last cord I went through was some of the first wood I split BEFORE I even got the stove last year. The next cord was split only 4 or 5 months ago (it was well seasoned before I got it) Wow did I ever learn a lot about splitting. Older cord was split down to pieces about as big around as a 2 liter coke bottle or less, most times less. Newer pile. 2 or 3 times that size.

I'm almost out also, I had to raid dads pile and now there calling for 3-6" of snow tonight. The good thing is MaLogger let me use his timber wolf wood splitter. Dad my son and I split about 7-8 cords the other day. That thing is awsome. I want to 20 cords ready by the end of March.

Yep, the pile has run dry! First time in a couple of years! I just didn't get as much cutting done last year as I had hoped, and what I did get was low grade stuff...elm :(...that it seemed like I had to burn more for the same heat. I'm saving back about 1/4 cord for 'just in case the power goes out'.

Corey

Out of the 5 cords I started I have about 2.5 cords left. The first year while you learn your unit you always burn through more wood. I probably wasted a cord while I learned how my unit & situation liked things done. I too burned too hot too fast and I didn't leave the black unburned pieces in there to burn in the next fire. Now I do, and I've pretty much got it down but I still experiment. One of the hardest things was learning where the "sweet spot" is, that is the place you get the most miles per gallon.

I have just under 1 cord left...I think I can, I think I can....make it.

Went thru a rack and a half mixed with maple and oak. The empty rack is already filled with all maple due to splitting some left over stumps during the winter. Have about a rack and a half of all oak left. Its warming up in MD tho...

I moved into a leaky home in December with no wood and a big Lopi insert to feed. I bought a cord of very dry doug fir and then started scrounging. I had a 1/4 cord stash of dry alder for campfires, about 1/4 cord of madrona that was seasoned but wet in rounds from my rec property, and then borrowed a 1/4 cord from a friend. This last weekend I found a dry and seasoned cedar log in a slash pile that I split up and it has been burning very well, good for a little less than 1/4 cord.

If anything I am not burning long and hot enough tending to be afraid of overfires and waking up to flames. I am learning to trust the stove now.

I am now down to about 1/3 of a cord and mixing in small splits of wetter wood to make it through the spring. I already have put up 2 cords of green wood for next year with plans to get at least two more before the end of march.

If I need to buy some more wood this year I am tempted to try a compressed dust product. The reviews are good and they seem pretty cheap in my area at this time of year.

I ran out too. another newbie mistake, but i have about 6 huge white ash trees i am cutting down next week to burn next year. This year though to finish up the season i tried BioBricks, not sure i ever want to go back to wood. Besides having to pay for the bricks they have many advantages over wood, Less mess,no splitting, more heat, no storage worries, no bugs or mice, its like the convenience of a pellet stove, but better. Anyone who can get them should try em out.

Try them they are GREAT!!!

I started with about 3 cords, half was yellow poplar which went fast. I've got very little left. I think I also burned too fast in my first season, especially because I was excited to use the new stove at the beginning of the season and was overheating the house (well even yesterday when I got home from work the house was 80 - haha, but I blame most of the 80 degree situations on the wife). I went out to the woods last weekend and found some dry deadfall, which hopefully will help me finish out the season. I've also got about a 1.5 cords bucked for next year, but its not dry or split yet. I would like to get ahead this year, with something like 5 cords going into next winter instead of 3, that way I should have leftovers for the following year, I guess we'll see how things go.

Looks like I'm going to finish up with a little bit left over this year. At least I don't think I'll run out.

I got real lucky and scored next year's wood from neighbhood tree service guys this last August and September. It's all split and stacked (see sig). So I think I'm set for next year. The year after will require another lucky score or I may be wishing someone sold compressed products around here. They don't, so I'm depending on lady luck since I have no pickup or trailer and don't know anyone around here who has one.

I have finished up all my dry wood and have started into some that would be perfect next year, but is still a little wet. I am burning it hot like Hog is. This is the first year for me, but I think I have next year, and most of the following year stacked and drying.

I have used about 4 cords already, bought 7 cords at about 70 dollars each cord. Becasue here in Buffalo, NY we had a horrible October snow storm that blew down much of my big cherry branches I have plenty for next year. Plus I usually fell 2 to 3 trees at my parents cabin I(about 80-100 foot trees), hardwoods.

I bit the bullet this year in buying 7 cords but I am going to keep up with my wood cutting and I will have enough seasoned wood every year hopefully. Plus I like cutting my own wood, make them the size you want, big and juicy...well not really juicy.

At $70 per, I'm assuming you are talking about "face cords".

Status
Not open for further replies.