ARE YOU RUNNING OUT OF FIREWOOD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used more than I thought I would this year. I have a pretty much unlimited supply of downed seasoned wood on my buddy's property, but I have a 2wd pick-up and can't get up his steep and snow covered driveway. I'm burning boxelder that I dropped in June and had stacked for next year. It burns but doesn't throw the heat that it would if properly seasoned. I've been burning a small hot fire (600-700) once a day from lumber scraps to try to keep the creasote down.

I've got one cord of wood I would consider ready for burning. Three in reserve right now, which i would not burn.

Have burned 2 tons of coal. Have another 2 here. We're looking good for next year.

At the beggining of Jan. I still had three cords under our eleveated deck and was thinking for the spring and summer I was going o have to move all that wood.Well here in Maryland the temp started dipping into the single digits and the wood started going Fast. I'll have enough to get us thru this winter but just barely.The burner that hooks up to our duct system is an older one and is like throwing wood into a locomotive.....it sure does keep the house warm though.
Mike

I like to compare mine to a woodchipper. Although the comparison to a locomotive is a good one.

I'm a bit of a slacker this year. didn't start messing with the wood till october. I had put up so much wood the 2 previous winters that I had over 10 cord out there. probly burned 4 cord maybe a bit more. I've lined up some scrounges so I'm going to be getting the stacks back up to snuff. I'm moving the position of where I keep the wood as well. changing the way I stack. I still need to build a woodshed but I have too many other things around this place that require my attention to be worrying about that too much.

Mr.Burns said:
This year though to finish up the season i tried BioBricks, not sure i ever want to go back to wood. Besides having to pay for the bricks they have many advantages over wood, Less mess,no splitting, more heat, no storage worries, no bugs or mice, its like the convenience of a pellet stove, but better. Anyone who can get them should try em out.

Thank heavens for Bio's!!!! I just pick up another pallet today. I tried burning some of the stuff I cut last spring, but didn't split till Nov-Dec and it's still sizzlin like a mo'fo!! Hopefully this year I can get hooked up with a tree service or something and get alittle further ahead in my wood supply. It's just tought finding places to stack it out back of my condo :(

I still have about 2 cords for this year and should do ok. Not as dry as it could be but burning ok. I have 4 full cords of oak/hickory that is on its 2nd year of seasononing for next year...and about 3 cords of mix of maple, ash, elm on its 2nd year for next year. I have about 2 cords of hickory/maple/choke cherry to split and 2 20" ash trees that came down in the storm to cut up on a nearby lot...life is good. I have spent too many years huddled around a cold stove because the wood was wet. Now that I have a gas splitter vs the maul I take what I can get so that there is no question that I will have enough. Also with a few months under my belt with the new stove the consumption is a lot lower...like a third of what the old stove was!!!

DavidV said:
I'm a bit of a slacker this year. didn't start messing with the wood till october. I had put up so much wood the 2 previous winters that I had over 10 cord out there. probly burned 4 cord maybe a bit more. I've lined up some scrounges so I'm going to be getting the stacks back up to snuff. I'm moving the position of where I keep the wood as well. changing the way I stack. I still need to build a woodshed but I have too many other things around this place that require my attention to be worrying about that too much.

Before you think about building a woodshed, try stacking via the Holz Hausen method. You may be amazed at how little space it occupies and how much wood it holds. Just my .02 worth

Burned up my 3 coards fairly quickly this year too, only about 2 wks worth left and it's all birch. Was a windy winter up here, I think that wicked away a lot of heat. So I said the heck with it and bought a pellet stove today, will see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.