ARE you still burning.......?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English BoB

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2014
Brunswick NY
Temps are warmer and the oil is easier, but tonight I lit the fire again. Its 55 outside but damp, its 75 in house and cosy. Oil cannot compete for warmth IMHO.

Bob

Reactions: D8Chumley
No, But I have seen at least a 1/2 dozen of my neighbors fire up there stoves this week with this crappy cold wet weather here in CT. Your right about wood stove heat its the Best !

My wife started a fire again yesterday afternoon, it's still going. I'm ready for some warm temps

If I didn't break everything down already thinking it was spring, I'd still be burning. Every night the furnace is kicking on at least a couple times.

Today and yesterday, one in the morning since it was cool in the house,and one in the evening when hanging around.

Stopped for a while but has not really gotten out of the 40's today. The wifey was cold and she built one. Not complaining & will take one last hurrah in the stove. 73 degrees & toasty.

Yeah a bit here and there. Ive got a little fire going tonight. Its been highs of 26 c and lows of -2 c and everything in between. Due to el nino weve jumped ahead a month so its been quite warm. We have cooler weather coming for next week so I expect to be burning a bit each day. Were bouncing between summer weather and snow showers.

Yes . . . generally mornings and evenings (if needed in the evening.) Cool and wet up here.

Yup, sadly. These cool, damp nights just won't go away. Still in the mid to upper 40s overnight, daytime temps rarely get above 55. The SheWolf says Ma Nature is off her meds again. :eek:

Had a warm spell a couple weeks back, we removed the wood storage hoop and put it away. Still bringing in totes of red maple for nighttime burns.

Yup, evenings when I want to do it. In MA the weather has been rainy and kind of raw for days now, and will be until at least Sunday.

I'm burning my wood for next year- not cool. I need 4 cords a year it seems and have three ready for next season. I just ordered 4 cords a couple days ago so I can get it stacked and drying. Then I will be going after the dead stuff in the woods around my house to supplement the shoulder seasons this upcoming season.

Wonder if it's going to be one of those no real Spring/then heat wave years...

24/7 most of the week. Warm today stoves out. Might be as need arises now. Mother Nature being so fickel and all.

Had a short fire last week but now the house doesn't drop below 68f at night. No need for fire.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The Garn gets fired here once a day, got rid of a good half cord of pine - spruce - tulip the last few weeks.

I took advantage of this raw weather to burn up the last of this season's stash--mostly uglies and little bits & pieces--and to sample some of what I set aside for next season. I split some hard maple last year and the smaller chunks are pretty dry. I tried some progressively larger chunks until I heard one of them sizzling and decided to leave it at that...

Not for a week or so, but I remember having a few fires in early June last year.

Around here, it's not over til it's over.

7ec90f444ad7b9d2e8e6c7fe5541edc1.jpg

Dry heat sure beats wet + cold !

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No, getting fat and lazy. Was done to 40 last week and turned the stat up on the electric heat,

Yes. It's been rainy and cloudy. With no heat gain thru the southern exposure windows it can get down to mid sixties inside when it is only 45ºF outside. A load of pine and then a load of oak has been getting it up to 74ºF pretty quick. A fire this morning got it up to 74 by noon and it is still 73. Might be 71 by morning so won't need another short burn until supper time.

I put my indoor rack away and shut the main stove down weeks ago. It's been rainy and in the 40's/50's at night so I have blasted the propane furnace a couple times. As much as I love the stove, I just can't bring myself to accept running it in May. It's just more efficient and cheaper to flick on the furnace the couple of times we want some heat.

I shut down in April. Been chilly/cold and raining every day for 11 days now but I just use the radiator heaters on thermostats. Fifty or sixty bucks extra in electricity saves a lot of fussing with the stove.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dix and Sprinter
Status
Not open for further replies.