Area for our Cabin Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
http://www.townandcountryplans.com/klondike.html

The above link is the cabin we plan on building starting next summer, attached are some pictures of the area we will build it on. Looks like some old stumps will need to be removed along with some downed trees.

Once everything dies off I'll start the clean up.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4160.jpg
    100_4160.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_4161.jpg
    100_4161.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_4162.jpg
    100_4162.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 100_4163.jpg
    100_4163.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 381
Nice little plan Zap. Are you going to mill the boards yourself?

Man! That is so cool. I'm sure you will supply us with major pics.

We have started milling some of the boards, some will be purchased so we can get this going next summer.

Pics will be supplied of the build, only if it goes good. ;-)

zap

Pretty spot zap.....nice cabin plans too....
Can't wait to see pics of the finished product.... :)

zapny said:
We have started milling some of the boards, some will be purchased so we can get this going next summer.

Pics will be supplied of the build, only if it goes good. ;-)

zap

lol, I seen all of your work....If its not perfect you will just do it again until it is. :lol:

Beautiful site there Zap. Looking forward to your build thread once you get going. I always thought it would be sweet to have something like that.

It's off the brook about 75-100 feet (code) so you can hear the water running in the brook, about the only electricity it will have (if we do it) would be a generator hook up. Starting next week I'll have some questions on the construction of the foundation.

zap

zapny said:
about the only electricity it will have (if we do it) would be a generator hook up.

You might be surprised at what a small solar setup with a 12v battery(s) and a couple of 12V lights can accomplish. General purpose lighting sure is a handy thing.

Neat looking area. I can already picture the lawn chairs and the burn pit outside the front door of the cabin.

Agree with Jags on the possible solar....a few panels and batteries might be real nice vs running a generator.
Not sure of how the roof will face, but might be a good idea to look into

Jags said:
zapny said:
about the only electricity it will have (if we do it) would be a generator hook up.

You might be surprised at what a small solar setup with a 12v battery(s) and a couple of 12V lights can accomplish. General purpose lighting sure is a handy thing.

Neat looking area. I can already picture the lawn chairs and the burn pit outside the front door of the cabin.

Jags, can you throw up a link to the solar panel setup you are talking about. The front of the Cabin will be facing north so the roof will have a southern exposure.

zap

zapny said:
Jags, can you throw up a link to the solar panel setup you are talking about. The front of the Cabin will be facing north so the roof will have a southern exposure.

zap

I was just referring to something like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381709_200381709

50w going into a deep cycle or two could generate quite a bit of run time for a (or a couple) of small wattage general purpose 12V bulbs. Charges during the week while your gone and waits for you to flip on a light switch when you get there. You may want to consider something that is scalable (can add more if you want). But I was just keeping it simple.

Edit: with a couple of charged up deep cycles you also have the ability to run a power inverter for limited 110V applications. Like a short burst on a blender for those drinks with an umbrella in them. :cheese:

On our last motor home we put 4 solar panels on top and used four 6-volt deep cell batteries (golf cart batteries). We also had an inverter and could even run a microwave oven. It worked great down in Arizona during the winter but we also installed them so that I could tip them up during December through February else we would not get enough sun to completely charge the batteries. Naturally during the summer months charging was no problem.

The only problem I can see with Zap having them for his cabin is that his woods is so thick he would not have sunshine for long periods so charging might take more panels for sure.

zap-we've seen pics of your wood piles and you could use them for walls they are so straight/plumb!!
what are you going to use the cabin for?
if i might be so bold, forget those plans and build a larger one now! for one thing, you'll have a hard time heating that place to a comfortable level without roasting yourself out!
and it looks so small, you would have to step outside just to change your mind.
well, if there's no convincing you, think about enclosing the front porch and using that for lining space also. hurry up and start so we can see the progress!

yooperdave said:
zap-we've seen pics of your wood piles and you could use them for walls they are so straight/plumb!!
what are you going to use the cabin for?
if i might be so bold, forget those plans and build a larger one now! for one thing, you'll have a hard time heating that place to a comfortable level without roasting yourself out!
and it looks so small, you would have to step outside just to change your mind.
well, if there's no convincing you, think about enclosing the front porch and using that for lining space also. hurry up and start so we can see the progress!

Just a place to hang, about all we use the property for at this time is cutting firewood,cross country skiing in the winter time and for walking. This will be something we can look back on and say it might not be the best but we did this on our own.

The porch will be screened in then if we want to enclose it for more living space we can later on.

We like the smaller cabin, if it gets real hot we will open the windows or jump in the brook

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
On our last motor home we put 4 solar panels on top and used four 6-volt deep cell batteries (golf cart batteries). We also had an inverter and could even run a microwave oven. It worked great down in Arizona during the winter but we also installed them so that I could tip them up during December through February else we would not get enough sun to completely charge the batteries. Naturally during the summer months charging was no problem.

The only problem I can see with Zap having them for his cabin is that his woods is so thick he would not have sunshine for long periods so charging might take more panels for sure.

Chainsaw = More sun.

zap

I agree Zap but there are limits when in the woods. The key is, how many hours of sun will you get and realize that varies by what time of the year. So not only the east/west but also some of the north/south.

I have that same site bookmarked because I'd like to build the Mckenzie on my three acres of timber. Do you plan on purchasing the plans?

Danno77 said:
I have that same site bookmarked because I'd like to build the Mckenzie on my three acres of timber. Do you plan on purchasing the plans?

Danno77, we have the plans, purchased about two months ago.

On the cordwood building, we do have a book on cordwood building but we won't be doing that.

zap

zapny said:
Danno77 said:

On the cordwood building, we do have a book on cordwood building but we won't be doing that.

zap
Do you like the plans? Any comments on what they give you?

Yes I like them, not any material list with it. On each page they do tell you what size lumber you need and on center info. I'll take a picture of one then post tomorrow night.

zap

Danno77 said:
zapny said:
Danno77 said:

zap
Do you like the plans? Any comments on what they give you?

Status
Not open for further replies.