Arghhh! Broke my window...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 8, 2007
Central Coast California
Taking the cast iron burn plates out of my Jotul Model 8 (non-cat) today for cleaning and ceramic blanket installation. When you take the side plates out, the rear plate topples forward and... CRACK... cast iron meets window glass. :ahhh: Luckily the family was out, and didn't learn any new "vocabulary" this afternoon.

Quick call to Woodmans Parts at ten to five on a Friday evening... they have windows in stock (for a 25 year old stove! ) and in a week or two I should be back online, though with sadly thinner wallet.

Question for you experts here: how does ceramic "glass" (Pyroceram) typically break... in long shards like plate glass (which this window did), in little crumbles like tempered glass, or into some other form?

Well, hope this warm weather we've been having holds out another week or two...

Eddy

ceramic glass breaks like plate glass, not like tempered

I understand your frustration; about two seasons ago the glass on my Dovre Aurora broke at the end of the heating season and I still don't understand why. One day after the season was over I looked at it and there was this crack on the right side on the bottom going up to the top right side and this was when the glass was 13 years old-it just happened. The only thing that I can think of is I do remember seeing a log that had fallen against it a short time earlier; I told this to the stoveshop dealer and he said "that still shouldn't have broken" but it did. The good thing is that the "new" glass that I got from Quadri-fire (who bought Dovre out) is MUCH better than the original one; it is clearer and came with rope gasket already on the edge of the glass, so hopefully you will enjoy the benefits of the newer "technology" also. But mine cracked in a line, from 6 o'clock up and then curved to 2 o'clock (if you were looking at a clock) but stayed in place. Good luck!

I had to pick up a piece of glass for a taiwaneese Cons Duchwest when I first started burning. I took the door to a local glass shop and they fitted it for me. It cost around $17 IIRC. Make friends with the local shops in your area. They rarely do the customer wrong.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.