Arghhh !!! Gasket replacement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
My stove's been running fine but, since it's warm out, I decided to replace the gaskets on the damper and stove collar since they weren't perfect.
Man, what a chore getting that old cement out of the channel. Anyway, I decided that removing the damper would give me
a little more room to work in there. There's just 2 tabs bolted in there to keep the damper in place and you only need to remove 1.
You guessed it ! I snapped the friggin' bolt off. I dunno if I can get in there with an angle drill and EZout to remove it. I'll have to borrow one
tomorrow and give it a try.
Should've left well enough alone, I guess. I'm sure that's what my wife wants to say. lol

Note to self: Use the minimum amount of gasket cement possible.

*Cringe* Good luck. Is the bolt hardened steel? Try to run a file over the head and scratch it.

Matt

Use a small wire wheel chucked into a drill to get the furnace cement out. Piece of cake that way. As to the bolts, after you get them out replace them with ones made of stainless steel and coat them with copper based anti-seize compound. You can get a tube of it at any auto parts store.

You will thank yourself the next time you have to take those bolts out.

A pain indeed.
My stove guy even suggested that to cement the new gasket
into the channel, just lay little globs of the cement every half
to 3/4 inch or so. Next time won't be as big a chore.
Sorry to hear about the snapped bolt. Some anti-sieze done
at the factory would have been nice.

Brian, Ive been where you are, During rebuild of my Intrepid ii last year I snapped a bolt off that holds back panel assy in place. I was freakin out but got some Kroil and sprayed every day for 5 days... I brought home drills easy outs and the works to attempt to remove the remaining stud and to my surprise it came out by hand.. definatly spray it down and let it sit and soak..... By the way had first fire in it last week and it hummed right along... Good Luck, The Jet

Gentlemen -

I'm repairing my VC Resolute Acclaim. Snapped a bolt in the bypass door, and the casting that the bypass door is attached to. I've got them soaking with Kroil... 3 days, no joy. I've got them sitting in the chest freezer today. More oil and some propane torch action tonight. I've got the stainless steall fasteners already. I'll pick up the Anti Sieze on the way home.

I'm also replacing the By-pass door gasket since it's easy to do with the casting out of the stove. I sure miss it when it's not in action! It's been a good unit so far.

Thanks,
Mike P

My wife helped me clean off the old gasket cement on my stove.
When she cleaned the channels with ammonia it seemed the make scraping a lot easier.
Hope this helps with the gasket part.

I'm going in with an angle drill tonight. Wish me luck.
I hope I don't have to tear this thing down. I think I'd just weld the tab on there before tearing down with winter approaching.

Brian VT - That is the bolt I'm working on tonight on my Resolute Acclaim. The whole casting comes out the front of the stove pretty easy!! Then you can work on it easily. Lift and swing the side bricks, then the Rear panels, then 4 bolts and the whole assembly comes right out. I sprayer with Kroil, then tapped them with a light hammer for a while and it worked. I looked at the diagram on the VC website.

Good luck!
Mike P

I had it apart earlier in the year. You're right. It's not that big of a deal. I'll try the angle drill and EZout 1st, though.
Funny. All the other bolts came out easy. I was suprised when this one snapped.

Hi-

I was able to drill and tap the broken bolts out of the casting that surrounds the by-pass door. I got new stainless bolts and will re-assemble tonight. The Weather types are predicting light snow so it's definately time to be burning regularly. I lost electrical power and ended up using a battery powered hand drill instead of drill press. The bolts were soft. It was a blessing.

Mike P

I wasn't so lucky. I did end up removing the casting and drilling out the bolt. When I put the EZout to it the end of the cast tab let go.
I had to drill and tap a new hole. It's back in there fine now. I anti-seized all the bolts I had out.
The bummer is that this part is warped and I hear there are none in stock for sale. I'm hoping it'll be okay.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26679/

Brian VT said:
I wasn't so lucky. I did end up removing the casting and drilling out the bolt. When I put the EZout to it the end of the cast tab let go.
I had to drill and tap a new hole. It's back in there fine now. I anti-seized all the bolts I had out.
The bummer is that this part is warped and I hear there are none in stock for sale. I'm hoping it'll be okay.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26679/

I feel your pain. I had a week off in September, and beautiful days they were. My plan was to get my insert rebuilt and installed, then spend the rest of the week sailing on Lake Champlain.

Monday I prepped and lined my chimney. Tuesday I rebuilt my newly aquired WinterWarm insert, got the thing installed and started putting the interior cast parts back inside. As a final touch, maybe ten minutes away from calling the job "done", I decided to take a half-turn on the two bolts that hold the wedges which hold the fireback in place. The first one turned easily, and the second one snapped off with no warning.

Wednesday morning first thing, I center-punch the broken bolt, and manage to drill a 1/8" hole right down the center of the bolt. "Beautiful!" Says I, with a glance out the window at the steady 10 knot breeze ruffleing the leaves, "This is going to be easier than I thought. I'll be on the water by noon". I size-up my bit to 3/16, which bores down in there like butter, then promptly snaps off clean in the hole. I spent the rest of the day removing the insert, disassembling it (again!), pulling the casting off, finding a machine shop, and persuading them to drill it out.

Thursday I reassemble and reinstall the insert.

Friday, it's raining!

Status
Not open for further replies.