Arghhh... Gasman seems to like me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kszach

Oct 24, 2008
SE WI
200 gallons of Propane last month and it wasn't a terribly cold month. House and DHW. House is 2800 sq ft, alot of windows and a cathedral ceiling in part. As this is my first winter in the house, I'm not sure what to expect. We are going to get an energy audit but from what I've dug into already, the walls are 2x6 construction with plenty of insulation and a plastic vapor barrier. I added insulation to the attic (1/2 house is 2 story with attic) that has to be at least R40 up there as I added R30 to the blown in fiberglass that was already up there. We do have a bunch of windows but they do face the south. I put some heavy curtains on the 12'x7' wall of windows. I also put an electric oil filled heater in the baby's room so he can enjoy 72 degree nights and not put me in the poor house.

How much fuel is anyone else using?

I have yet to start my wood furnace this year due to warm temps. I filled my 500 gallon tank on 10/27/11 (300 gallons @ $1.799) and am at 50% today. I have a 1600 sq ft main floor and 1600 unfinished basement to heat (walkout). 600 of this is cathedral ceiling. House faces SW. A lot of windows, 2 NE facing patio doors. 6" walls and blown attic. I am on flat ground with small trees (tallest 14') and get a TON of wind. I have yet to insulate my basement walls (including exposed walkout side) and I am sure I lose a ton of heat this way. I hate seeing the propane man but I am not a fan of an 80 degree house and dwindling wood pile either.

Status
Not open for further replies.