Ariens 22 ton log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the new splitter.

After about 6 months, my 27 ton Ariens developed a control valve leak. Took it to an Ariens / Gravely dealer, had it back with a new valve in a bit over a week - no charge, no muss, no fuss.
Been working fine since.

After tightening the bolts on the control valve it still leaked and the auto return didn't work. My nearest Ariens authorized dealer is a John Deere dealer whom just got ariens 5 months ago. But these guys are well known in the area, so i have full faith in their service.

Anyway, the service writer said it looked like a bad control valve and the whole thing would have to be replaced, he expects i'll get it back next week. Not a good sign though, right out of the factory with a bad control valve. Otherwise this thing is great, it's has no problem with anything i throw at it, and the cycle time seems pretty quick too.

Do this subi use any gas? or does it run on air? Many can you get mileage out of it.

Just out of curiosity can you tell what country your splitter was made in? A lot of people dismiss my splitter as it is made in China but I wander how many are made in the USA?

That splitter gets good reviews on the menards site. Who care if it's made in China. I prefer made in America, BUT, I own German and American cars and mostly Jap electronics. I'm sure my house is cluttered with made in china stuff though.

If you mean a Honda motor, they are the BEST IMHO.

I agree, honda does have the best small engine.

This subi isn't bad, practically runs on air, i just don't like the way it sounds, but i'm getting used to it.

Well my splitter has a Chinese OHV engine. I'll change the oil like I should and hope it lasts. It's supposed to be quiet but I still use ear plugs since it just makes it less tiring to work around it.

I don't wear ear plugs, it's not loud where it bothers me, It just doesn't sound like what i'm used to i.e. Briggs, Kohler

I purchased a Forest King 22 ton from Menards this fall. Don't have any real complaints used it on knotty oak, elm, box elder. If it won't split it, it will shear it.
The detent on the valve for auto return sometimes doesn't stay latched and the engine speed hunts/surges especially when not under load.
It looks like they've cheapened it up some, mine doesn't have bolt on wheels, the hose from the valve is replaced with a steel tube (actually an improvement)
I just added a Zinga 10 Micron return filter, since that is one of the few differences between this and a Speeco/Husky machine.
101_4593.JPG 101_4601.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: WiscWoody
Not a good sign though, right out of the factory with a bad control valve.

There have been multiple reports of valves having issues right away. Even Iron and Oak (a very respected builder of commercial grade splitters) had a problem. It makes me wonder if there was a large batch of valves that were built with a defect of some type.

I should know better not to worry about that. I sell high end cars and sometimes something just doesn't work right off the assembly line.

Having a 3 year warranty is great.

I purchased a Forest King 22 ton from Menards this fall. Don't have any real complaints used it on knotty oak, elm, box elder. If it won't split it, it will shear it.
The detent on the valve for auto return sometimes doesn't stay latched and the engine speed hunts/surges especially when not under load.
It looks like they've cheapened it up some, mine doesn't have bolt on wheels, the hose from the valve is replaced with a steel tube (actually an improvement)
I just added a Zinga 10 Micron return filter, since that is one of the few differences between this and a Speeco/Husky machine.
View attachment 124625 View attachment 124624

I'll have to see if I can install a filter on my Forest King this summer. If your engine surges with no load I think your governor needs some adjustment. My engine rpm never varies but I can see the governor working when I apply pressure.

To MotoBoyMatt,

When I have really big rounds, I just get on my knees rather than bending over. You have a lot more leverage, then when you break a round split vertically until the sizes are manageable to be picked up, then split horizontally.

If you mean a Honda motor, they are the BEST IMHO.

That depends, The Honda GX motors are second to none. The GC Honda motors aren't any better than a cheaper motor. I would make sure it has a real choke and not a primer though.

That depends, The Honda GX motors are second to none. The GC Honda motors aren't any better than a cheaper motor. I would make sure it has a real choke and not a primer though.
Your right. I have seen a cheaper Honda motor but have never owned one. The one I had was a 13 hp GX and it was on a pressure washer. It roared! I sold it though after deciding that anything that doesn't get used had to go.

Agreed. I have a couple GX motors and they run great. I also have two suby motor's SP170 (splitter) and EX30 (generator) - I'd put them right there with the GX's.

Last edited:
Well with the horrible weather here in NY this past week, I guess the repair of my splitter was delayed. I wouldn't have used it anyway but I still want it back.

Splitter is all fixed and working GREAT, I love this thing. I can't imagine needing a more powerful one, I got through gnarly wood with no prob. Word of caution: if she's not hooked up to something and u put a monster log on horizontal, you run the risk of tipping it, yes i tipped it.

Also, if you have one or are planning on getting one, the work table is a must have, it really helps big time.

nuzutydy.jpg

Splitter is all fixed and working GREAT, I love this thing. I can't imagine needing a more powerful one, I got through gnarly wood with no prob. Word of caution: if she's not hooked up to something and u put a monster log on horizontal, you run the risk of tipping it, yes i tipped it.
Didn't they put a fold down lever to keep it from tipping?

If you look at MotoBoyMatts first picture the lever is to the left of the tank/axle. I've put heavy rounds up on these that should have been split vertically and it would have tipped without the lever. But whatever, if you don't have it you don't have it...

Status
Not open for further replies.