Ariens 27 ton or Huskee 28 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TMonter said:
Generally speaking Ariens equipment is pretty well built, even the pro-sumer stuff you see at Home Depot. In fact they don't sell separate lines of equipment for snow blowers and splitters for the big box stores like some manufacturers do.

You mean like painting a red Ariens black and putting the Sno-Tek name on them and selling them side by side at Home Depot ?

If you can get it with the table and log cradle for close to the same scratch, get on it.

S

You can't go wrong with an Ariens/Gravely. I've also been running an Ariens 27-ton for a couple of years and haven't had a single issue. Something else to note, I know you were concerned about the location of the reservior, but something that the dealer who sold it to me pointed out is the fact that Ariens reservior is actually serviceable. On most other splitters, the entire axle would have to be removed to service it which could get VERY expensive.

Also, yes, the Suburu engine is a great commercial engine while Honda's GX is really a consumer engine.

And...Ariens/Gravely is American made!!!! The Huskee components are manufactured in China.

billb3 said:
TMonter said:
Generally speaking Ariens equipment is pretty well built, even the pro-sumer stuff you see at Home Depot. In fact they don't sell separate lines of equipment for snow blowers and splitters for the big box stores like some manufacturers do.

You mean like painting a red Ariens black and putting the Sno-Tek name on them and selling them side by side at Home Depot ?

Actually they aren't the same blower when you look at them and the Snow Tek say by Ariens but it certainly isn't marketed as a direct Ariens blower. I do get your point though.

I was just pointing out that if you get an Orange Ariens piece of equipment at Home Depot it's the same piece of equipment you'll buy at a local shop.

That being said I do not like the way the cylinder is mounted either but I bet Ariens would stand behind it if you had issues.

The Sno-Tek lines are better than the MTD line when you look at them both.

Well, I finally got one! After negotiating with the home depot manager, he agreed to honor my 20% off coupon. However, they worked for over a week to special order one for me and were not able to get one in. In the meantime, I contacted the lawn company that was running a sale and although the sale was over, because the page had not been removed from the web, the owner agreed to sell it to me at the on sale price and, he just happened to be taking a trip to indy for the superbowl and offered to drive it up to me. But wait, it gets better! On Friday he called and gave me that bad news. He was unable to get his hands on a 27 ton machine but offered to sell me the 34 ton machine for just a few dollars more. I agreed and, as of an hour ago, I am the proud new owner of a 34 ton Ariens. I'm a very happy guy:) Thanks for all the input; now I've got my work cut out for me. No more excuses.

congrats!

post some pictures once you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.