Ariens 27 ton vs Husky 28 Ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I was at a local Home Depot today and had a chance to check out an Ariens 27 ton splitter.Aside from a truncated beam and unsuported cyilincer, it was superior to the Husky. heavy duty hydraulic lines, fenders on the tires, a real trailer coupler and jack, you name it. Am I sorry that I bought a husky 28 ton? no, because the ariens was $2000 and beffing up the husky will cost less. I just wish husly hand't cut so many corners in the first place.

One made for just around the wood processing area and one made for transport. I even have a few things I would change about my splitter. I would love to have a 4 or 6 way wedge and table grate. My splitter is great for going to any given site and getting a cord or two split, and especially on big wood. I however would love to have a high production model. Think of what you really need and go with it. My splitter is 9 years old and I can only think of a few times where I could have used more options, more production.... Some times I wonder the same thing about why companies build the units they do? It sometimes looks like many are the same and you pick the color and name. Like anything if you look at enough of them you can begin to see a good one.

Troy built has everything but a nice jack stand.

The Troybuilt is funny that way, a sheet metal channel for tongue support. Then again the wheels and the overall size is not really going towards on road towing, more towards wood lot use. The tongue weight is not a big issue but the channel is light weight

RNLA said:
The Troybuilt is funny that way, a sheet metal channel for tongue support. Then again the wheels and the overall size is not really going towards on road towing, more towards wood lot use. The tongue weight is not a big issue but the channel is light weight

yep silly thing I have ever seen. Just enough to get hurt on. That was my first change on it.

Attachments

• splitting wood.jpg
    splitting wood.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.