Armor Flex Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Getting everything ready for my new liner install and have a couple of questions for the experts.

The install comes off a Progress Hybrid rear exit to a custom ovalized Tee. I went with the beefy overkill Armor Flex from Olympia after my previous liner had durability issues. This runs 18' up an exterior stone chimney.

My main question comes in regards to the wrap insulation. The manual states that essentially the whole thing needs to be wrapped from the Tee to 6" below the top termination. I feel like I have never seen an insulated Tee on here before. After I install the liner my hope is to stuff Roxul into the smoke chamber and put together a two piece block off plate.

My questions are:

1) Should I follow the manual and wrap the Tee?
My gut tells me that the answer to this is no. Given that the experts agree I have a couple more questions.

2) Where should I start the insulation from the bottom?
I would think you should install the wrap from the block off plate up. However given that I don't know exactly know how my block off plate will come together should I start the insulation wrap a little higher up? This would give me a little more wiggle room with the block off. Or should I wrap it down at the Tee and plan on cutting off the wire mesh, tape and wrap to the right height once I know exactly where the block off plate is going to go?

3) My install is going to be tight. Is it ok to wrap the liner without the 1" overlap that is stated in the manual? My terracotta tiles are 7.25"x11". I got the liner ovalized so I could wrap it and still fit it down the small terracotta tiles. I would probably make it with the 1" overlap but it will be tight.

Thanks if advance for the help!

1) Should I follow the manual and wrap the Tee?
My gut tells me that the answer to this is no. Given that the experts agree I have a couple more questions.
nope

2) Where should I start the insulation from the bottom?
I would think you should install the wrap from the block off plate up. However given that I don't know exactly know how my block off plate will come together should I start the insulation wrap a little higher up? This would give me a little more wiggle room with the block off. Or should I wrap it down at the Tee and plan on cutting off the wire mesh, tape and wrap to the right height once I know exactly where the block off plate is going to go?
Yes blockoff plate up

3) My install is going to be tight. Is it ok to wrap the liner without the 1" overlap that is stated in the manual? My terracotta tiles are 7.25"x11". I got the liner ovalized so I could wrap it and still fit it down the small terracotta tiles. I would probably make it with the 1" overlap but it will be tight.
Yes it is fine

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.