1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Arrow stoves, any good?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by fespo, Oct 6, 2013.

1. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    Good morning everyone, me and my C L searches. I found a Arrow brand wood stove on C L list but I can't find a whole lot of info on line about them. They were made by Heatilator, but no other info. I one I found does have burn tubes, some black pipe and 2-3 pieces of S S flue for $2oo. Any info on this stove would be great. Thanks Frank

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
  3. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    nope, Im tring to find the picture of the stove on C L
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is this an older stove, no glass in the door or perhaps a cabinet heater?
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Old brand of current company which makes Quadrafire, Heatilator, etc.

I could not call it a prize - quite old.
  6. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    DSCF9712.JPG DSCF9713.JPG
    Here are a few pictures
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Not in bad shape at all. It's EPA or at least close to it.....
    "Arrow was started in Tualatin, Oregon in the late 1970's by Joe Chamberlain, an entrepreneur, as part of a general sheet metal fabrication business. Arrow was the first steel wood stove designed with a pedestal instead of legs, and also pioneered the use of a gold finish on the stove door. Chamberlain sold the Arrow business to Heatilator/HON INDUSTRIES in 1985 just as state and national air quality regulations were starting to impact the industry. As a result of these regulations, the Arrow business declined and Heatilator closed the Tualatin factory and moved manufacturing to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa in 1989. Several attempts to regain its once strong market position by selling through the Heatilator fireplace sales force and customer base were unsuccessful. In 1993 the company hired Mike Derosier, an experienced stove industry sales and marketing executive, to direct the Arrow stove business. In the fall of 1993 Arrow launched an innovative direct vent gas stove which started a new industry trend and helped revive Arrow sales and market share."
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I don't find any listing for it but that sure does look like a contemporary design. For $200 is sounds like it could be a good buy.
  9. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Well I did buy it. It was made in 96 so says the sticker on the back. Here are some pictures of the package deal. I did clean up the brass door myself and pulled the old gaskets and glass.
    DSCN0346.JPG DSCN0347[1].JPG DSCN0348[1].JPG DSCN0349[1].JPG DSCN0351[1].JPG
    I don't think they use it much because of the set-up they had. Magic Heat Reclaimer, leaking gaskets, single wall inside flue that had leaking creosote dripping down and total short length flue.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks pretty nice and a good deal. Sell the Magic Heat and pocket the change.
  11. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ok, Arrow is installed in the green house. Installed new gaskets, double wall up threw the roof,(I cut the plastic polycarbonate and used sheet metal in it place. Now, I know this is not right, but I used what I had. Double wall all the way up and out. ya ya ya I know!!!!! But it is a 10x12 Harbor Freight green house, away from my house. I did sell the magic heat on e-bay for $112.50, now I have to dump 2 pieces of SS flue. I don't know what kind it is, but it is some very heavy pipe. Those burn tubes are going stong DSCN0383.JPG
  12. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Be careful with that stove in such a small place. You may end up with baked petunias.
    My Oslo heats my home likes this.
  13. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Im having a hard time right now keeping it warm, the space heater does kick on/off . This cheapie green house is very very drafty. I am working on sealing it up as best as I can.
  14. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    That looks like a pretty nice stove. Secondary air and all.
  15. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    DSCN0411[1].JPG Here she is,
  16. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Arrow is out!! Great LITTLE stove, just to small for over night burns in a cold green house. I replace it with a brand new Pleasant Hearth stove. Price was right just a three half hour drive each way.
  17. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Heating one of those green houses over night in chi town is gonna be a chore.
    Neat set up.
  18. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I like the greenhouse, but as Oldspark says, it's gonna be a chore...