Article - Nuke related

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be so cynical, but a typical American would say "so what if it poisons someone and somewhere else?" - We're always thinking we can just move on to Miami or the other side of the mountain and things will still be clean there!

No doubt, as the article says, it is a matter of hours or years, but it WILL happen.

Those who want to spread nuclear power around further should think twice and at least make certain they have a solution for the waste - but since they don't, any reasonable person would see that it means trading some short term clean energy for long term poison that someone else will pay for with $$$ and disease...and, of course, reduced quality of life.

As you may have noticed, I am quite cynical about the ability of our country to voluntarily take the Energy Bull by the Horns. What usually happens is that a core group will sacrifice and go greener, while the mainstream buys more yachts. The end result will be a constant increase in energy use and the associated problems. We are, IMHO, incapable of making the change using free will.

The fellow in the hearth room is looking for ways to heat in the Great White North.

Attachments

• nuke of the north.gif
    nuke of the north.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 334
I agree about the ignorance (or arrogance) of "exporting your poison."

Another example is how folks believe that a Prius is a 'green' transportation solution, while the production and disposal spoils of the battery materials poison the environment and carrying lifetime costs some 4X that of a simple Jeep and 6X that of a Scion and other conventional economy cars. How can you avoid looking at the lifetime impact of the solution and focus solely on narrow, fashionable metrics?

The Prius should be studied as to total impact. There are advantages to the Prius besides the MPG - the actual total pollution produced by the car is FAR under that provided by even a clean all-gas car of the same size.

Perhaps the most important part of the Prius is that it is proving to car manufacturers that customers DO CARE about pollution and mileage, and it will therefore spawn improved models. Toyota is not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes - the enclosed chart is one which they readily advertise. Granted, this is one view only (CO).

"King County, Washington compared the Toyota Prius to comparable mid-sized cars and found that the Prius reduced smog-forming pollutants and particulates by 50 to 90 percent"

There is more to the technology than meets the eye. When it comes to battery production and disposal, I think most can agree that problems is much more easily solved than the disposal of nuclear waste!

Attachments

• Prius_LifeCycle.png
    Prius_LifeCycle.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 301
Rubbish.

We're reassured that Toyota is not pulling the wool over our eyes, but your logic would have GE passing off a CO2 emissions diagram to explain the life-cycle environmental impact of their nuclear plants.

All that can be 'proved' is that there are people who DO CARE about pollution and mileage who are uninformed of the true lifecycle costs and environmental impact of their choices.

Tis rubbish. The average life cycle of a car in America is at least 100,000 miles, not kilometers, so the life cycle emissions will be significantly less. And, I wager there will be many less Prius's heading to the junkyard. With the robust technology in them, the used ones get snapped up very quickly.

Funny blog, though dated. Art Spinella is a character for sure. Who else would want a big Ford V8 in an MGB? This guy is about taking normal vehicles with decent mileage and pimping them out.

FWIW, the second generation Prius is being driven a lot, especially in states of high volume sales like CA and TX. Why, because the more miles one drives in it the better the payback. Go to Priuschat.com and ask the average miles per year they're putting on their cars. You'll find it average to a bit above average.

As to the second question - lets see, mining, transport, disposal, blasting out a mountain, transporting the rubble, installing an insane amount of infrastructure and running generators to keep it cool and lit and guarded for 10,000 years = an absurd amount of CO2.

Prius = Hummer. It should lead to something better, but don't kid yourself, it's an icon, a fashion item, not a practical or economical answer.

Twenty-four years ago the little Civic we had was about the same size as the Prius. It went like stink and, lead-footed, it got 36 city and 49 highway, actual, which for all intents and purposes is the same real world performance and CO2 emission as the Prius. It had a 67hp engine and did the 1/4 in 17.9secs. Terrific. Not only would that car cost nearly half what the Prius, it required far less toxic heavy metals and acid. It was True economy.

The Scion, Fit, Yaris, etc all fit that bill, but they just don't have that Einstein-pulling-the-PUSH-door panache that excites the Burt's Bees set.

On to your nuclear utopia, there is no carbon released. You, and your nuclear waste, live with pure, clean, free, nuclear fission and water - endless power for eternity. You, your white nuclear plant, your white Prius, Diane Keaton (in white), and your white Orgasmatron are perpetually powered in a perfect world.

That bizarre image is about as foolish as measuring the lifecycle impact of a Prius (or your nuclear plant) with a CO2 chart.

Charlie, I can guess that you don't believe in evolution! After all, thinking that a complicated machine such as a hybrid car is going to be perfect in version 1.0 is like thinking we came from a rib 6,000 years ago!

But even given personal opinions, the works of industry, design and engineering DO evolve, and that is why I don't claim a Prius in the Answer or anything so bold. But to say it is the same thing as a Hummer takes all possible credibility out of your statement!

Tell me when to expect fusion coming in over my local lines. Until then, we have to improve 1% (or less) at a time. Throwing our hands up and saying everything is just the same is exactly the type of view which guarantees the status quo (war for oil, etc.).

And the orgasmatron sounds great......years ago I remember an article showing great male-female strap on machines which we would then connect to our computers and have sex over the net.......you know, push each others buttons! Damn cool.

If you want to read a little about evolution of machines, check out this article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070607/japan_toyota_hybrids.html?.v=9

"A Decade After First Prius, Toyota's Hybrid Sales Hit 1 Million Mark"

"Although most automakers are working on hybrids, Toyota has the advantage of almost 10 years of experience in selling the technology, and in using feedback from drivers to make improvements, rather than relying on information from labs."

"Toyota has repeatedly stressed that the hybrid holds more potential than the diesel or other innovations.
Iwamoto said it remains unclear what will be the dominant ecological technology in 20 years time, however.
No one knows what will become the standard, or even if there are going to be several types of technology that will become the standard," he said."
--------------------------

Hmm, now I admit to sometimes being full of chit. And Stalin was definitely full of chit. But as to whether the largest and best manufacturer in the world is full of chit is another matter! Me? I'm going to double down on my TM stock! And, chances are that a hybrid Rav4 or Prius WILL be in my future (soon after the orgasmatron)

Status
Not open for further replies.