Article on CNBC.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wenger7446

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2007
Pottstown, PA
http://www.cnbc.com/id/25496384

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The surge in oil prices isn't just limiting how much people drive, it’s making them worry about next winter’s heating bill, and triggering a boom in the oldest source of fuel around: firewood.

SXC

"People are doubling their orders, trying to stock up on wood," said Vito Scarvaglione, owner of Vito's Tree Service in suburban Fort Lee, N.J. "It's going to be a crazy year — I’m trying to get as much wood done as possible."

Scarvaglione expects the price for a cord of wood (128 cubic feet) to approach $300 this winter, up from about $220 now.

That can still be a bargain when you consider the cost of home heating oil is up 84 percent in the last 12 months amid the global surge in commodity prices. Heating oil now costs a whopping $3.88 per gallon. That translates into about 38,000 British thermal units of heat per dollar, versus about 100,000 BTU per dollar for firewood.

And with banks such as Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley forecast even higher prices for crude oil later this year, wood providers like Scarvaglione are anticipating a record season. Scarvaglione is trying to build his inventory now before the cold weather approaches, especially because a decline in home construction has reduced the amount of wood available from clear-cutting developments.

“I guarantee there will be a shortage of firewood this year,” he said.

Wood-Burning Stove Demand Also Rises

The surge in firewood is also a boon to the wood-burning stove industry. “Orders are up 500 percent through the first 25 weeks of the year,” said Alan Trusler, vice president of home and hearth sales for stove and fireplace maker HNI Corp. Robert Dischner, director of marketing at rival Lennox Hearth Products, reported a 200 percent increase.

“In March, this was not forecast – no one foresaw this,” Dischner said. Shares in both HNI [HNI 16.89 -0.61 (-3.49%)] and Lennox’s parent company, Lennox International [LII 28.74 -1.82 (-5.96%)], have been beaten lower this year because less home construction has reduced demand for manufactured fireplaces.

Kurt Rumens, president of privately held rival Travis Industries, has also been scrambling to keep up.

“We have added 100 workers and we need another 100,” he said.

The renewed interest in wood heat is allowing the company to bring employment back to a former Boeing plant in Mukilteo, Wash., after its jobs were moved overseas in 2003.

Travis is getting mobbed with orders for stoves that burn normal wood, plus units that consume pellets made from scraps. He’s now telling some customers they’ll have to wait up to four months for new models, more than twice the time in early June. “Dealers are selling 30 to 40 pieces in a weekend, when normally it would be three to five,” said Rumens. “It’s not slowing down.”

© 2008 CNBC.com

man am I glad I jumped on this back in May with my new Jotul Rockland. I imagine this new Jotul is impossible to get ahold of now. My concern now is just accumulting more and more wood.

Got both our new stoves last fall...just serendipitously, we'd just moved here and knew we wanted 'em, so we got 'em. Certainly didn't see this energy cost spike coming. Lucky, I guess. I can tell just from all the traffic on this forum, especially all the first-time posters that we were pretty fortunate that the timing worked out that way for us. Got about 12 cords of well-seasoned wood on site too. Need some more. Rick

That article references both Travis Industries (lopi) and Lennox (Country) both of which are located here in Western Wa, Interesting enough when I bought my stove in Sept of 06 all the stove dealers I went to told me their was a shortage of stoves due to them all being sent down south because of Katrina, I thought that was kinda odd, why did they need stoves in Louisiana, but at the same time both manufacturers had adds in the local papers for qualified welders, said they were operating 3 shifts to keep up with demand, I haven't seen those same adds as of yet , but I expect them to be coming

Thats how I justifyed buying my new Equinox.
With the price of oil it will pay for it self in the first year.
I sold my pre cat defiant on ebay. It was a pretty exciting biddding war . Used stoves are also in demand.
(What he said )

Most stove shops up in my area are sold out and don't expect to get any more until fall or early winter. Pellet stoves seem to be very popular, lots of people I work with are installing them.

Well, I don't know where they're gettin' the "whopping" $3.88/gallon figure from. That's a bargain compared to the $4.67/gallon you'll pay if you live in my neck of the woods! (IF you're burnin' oil, that is! ;-)

FYI, heating oil is now about $4.08 wholesale, which means around $4.70 retail delivered and surely above $5 lock-in (but no places allow lock-ins right now from what I've heard)

I jumped on Woodstock's March sale to get my Keystone for $2079 and only $125 shipping. I knew then that I HAD to switch to wood, since I burn 300-400 gallons just to heat my first floor! This year I locked in my oil at $3.19, last year I locked in at $2.29 and the year before was under $2. At $1 increase a year, I figured I would spend another $400 each year.

Oil heat seems to be heavily concentrated on the east coast. Are other fuels (natural gas, propane) jumping in price similarly? (Yes, I know they are up, the the news is always about oil heat.)

Maybe I'm sitting on a gold mine here with 90 acres of woods. I wonder what it costs to ship a rail car of firewood to the east coast? ;-)

I wonder what CSD will be selling for in Cincinnati this winter. Let's see, if I can cut 50 cords....LOL. On second thought, I think I'll stay retired. Doing 50 cords makes me tired just thinking of it!

Ken

Hopefully these people switching to wood heat are doing it the right way. It's one thing to install the
stove right. But if their in a rush to get wood, I wonder how many people will be burning unseasoned
wood. I thought some of you were kinda crazy for having so many cords of wood. But reading articles
like that. Having a couple of years worth of wood doesn't some so crazy now.

I agree no man. In the news article it stated this guy is trying to get wood to cut now to deliver this winter. Sad indeed, but that is how it seems to work for those who have to buy their firewood already cut. Fact remains, it is still better to cut your own wood so you know what you have and how it is seasoned.

Ken45, I agree totally with your idea. We too are sitting on a gold mine...but I'll mostly cut only for ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.