As dump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
I am going to buy the pacific energy summit stove, is it worth it to get the ash dump or is it better to do it by hand.

This has been a strange topic around here.

Some don't mind shoveling the stove out every few days or so, and some do.

For me, a usable ashpan system was very important to my buying decision. I think Roospike has the same stove as you, and he and others here will get around to answering your question to this specific model.

Sandor said:

For me, a usable ashpan system was very important to my buying decision. I think Roospike has the same stove as you, and he and others here will get around to answering your question to this specific model.
Hey , Did somebody say my name ? minesmoria , yes the ash pan system on the Pacific Energy is very well worth it . THe door on the bottom of the stove is to the front and to one side . The door is spring loaded hooked to a handle that you unlock and let the door open , pull your ash to the hole and let it drop into the ash pan . Pull out a little , pull out a lot .... You can let it sit and dump it when ever you are ready . Very nice operation . The big advantage with ash pans over the bucket and shoveling is your get a LOT less ash to no ash in the air of the room . shoveling is sometimes hard not to let a cloud of ash floomp into the air . With the ash pan system you let it go into the ash pan and the ash settles before you dump it + you can let the ash cool before dumping it . The Pacific Energys ash pan system is one of the best systems i seen when looking at all the different brands of stoves . I guess you would really have to run them ALL with ash to know what system is the best.

Roospike said:
Sandor said:

Hey , Did somebody say my name ? minesmoria , yes the ash pan system on the Pacific Energy is very well worth it . THe door on the bottom of the stove is to the front and to one side . The door is spring loaded hooked to a handle that you unlock and let the door open , pull your ash to the hole and let it drop into the ash pan . Pull out a little , pull out a lot .... You can let it sit and dump it when ever you are ready . Very nice operation . The big advantage with ash pans over the bucket and shoveling is your get a LOT less ash to no ash in the air of the room . shoveling is sometimes hard not to let a cloud of ash floomp into the air . With the ash pan system you let it go into the ash pan and the ash settles before you dump it + you can let the ash cool before dumping it . The Pacific Energys ash pan system is one of the best systems i seen when looking at all the different brands of stoves . I guess you would really have to run them ALL with ash to know what system is the best.

How tough is the porcelain finish if the wood hit the door ledge would it chip the finish, i dont know if i will get the summit or classic model.

minesmoria said:
How tough is the porcelain finish if the wood hit the door ledge would it chip the finish, i dont know if i will get the summit or classic model.
The porcelain finish is a nice tuff finish . I have popped it a few time with wood and never an issue . The porcelain finish on a steel panel stove is going to be stronger than a porcelain finish on a cast steel stove because normally the steel panel stove will give a little bit like a car fender . porcelain finish on a cast iron stove is more likely to chip because there in "no give" and is solid so it is more so prone to chip . The big issue you need to watch for on any porcelain finish is your poker and other tools. Over all the porcelain finish is a lot stronger than you think . I would go with the porcelain finish hands down , even if you want blackl as a color i would still go porcelain finish / " Summit classic" You dont have to worry about the color fading nor do you have to mess with repainting the stove every few years . I use glass cleaner and a wash cloth to clean my P.E. classic and in less than 5 minute's it looks brand new just like it did when we bought it new. These were all very BIG questions we had asked when we bought our Summit Classic and the porcelain finish , the ash pan option and the leg kit are the best features we love the most of our options . You wont regret it one bit. #1 pic is low burn #2 is a heavier burn #3 secondary burn chamber flames comming from the inside top of the stove ( per FrankI)

Attachments

• P.E..JPG
    P.E..JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 7a.JPG
    7a.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 334
  • flame.jpg
    flame.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 320
I think i will get the porcelain finish, i have the pe super 27 and when you clean the dust off the paint comes of also.

What burn times do you get i have paper birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.