As I await my 4 dry cords in the rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I caught a break in getting 4 cord of well seasoned oak for $250 /cord. This was a last minute Craigs list item and the seller wanted $275/ cord...so i wrote to him a week ago and asked him about cash and quanitity and told him I am disabled, which I am, and he said he'd like to help me out and would deliver the 4 cord today at a cash price of $250/ cord. He is over due but informed me his truck is in the shop for transmission repairs and he will come as soon as he is able. He has kept in good touch with me last night and today with e-mails about the status of my wood.....I guess there are still some darned nice people out there. I had curry combed the countryside looking for seasoned firewood for the last 3 weeks and came up with none, which is surprising since I live in the country...Cornish

I borrowed 'curry combed the countryside' from the movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" My favorite western.

Thanks Jeff. I guess you are just down the road a piece on RT 5. Well I picked my Englander 13NCH (I guess the H stands for the gold trim door and handles, which are a home depot exclusive) yesterday at home depot in portland and it was boxed and on a pallet, ready to be fork lifted into my truck. Lucky for me my friend was alert as they had planned to load the englander Pellet stove on my truck. Yep, they had the right paperwork but the wrong stove...Maybe i would have been happier with a pellet stove? It got me thinking anyway. I think the price was $225/ ton of bags of pellets.
Thanks for thinking of me. Cornish Joe

Should have left with the Pellet stove, sold it, gone back and repurchased a wood stove. J/K - I would never feel good about that one.

Just curious, what sets the market up there for seasoned wood? That price seems a bit high to me. is it just b/c you specified oak and seasoned?

BTW - Josey Wales is one underrated movie.

CTwoodburner said:
BTW - Josey Wales is one underrated movie.

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
Lone Watie: I notice when you get to dislikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

CT woodburner I know nothing about pellet stoves except some wood burners are trading theirs in for a pellet type stove. No I did not specify any species of hardwood ...only seasoned 1 year C/S/D hardwood. . It just so happens this seller has only oak to sell. Green wood is $185-$200/cord up here and some sellers are saying they are out until aug or september...Supply and demand is my only guess. Rumor has it that green fire wood will sell for close to $300/cord in October and pellets will be in short supply. With this theory I think it means all non oil energy componets will demand a higher price in the future from wood to pellets to coal to insulation jobs...Economists call it the trickle down effect. Thats why I having my attic insulated at $1000 this year. If and when oil does go up and up ...Like in London gasoline sells for $8 american...in Turkey gasoline sells for close to $11.75/ gallon. Anything that takes our focus and buying power away from crude oil and it's by-products will demand higher prices in the future except for maybe gas guzzling cars and trucks, T.V.'S and computers. It's already happening in Europe. Hell check out gas prices in canada. They sell the stuff by the liter and have been for years and years.

I think the trickle down effect will eventually reach us all. So we should spend wisely. The easy life is over for a lot of us. Me anyway. I know the first pieces of furniture that I''m going to burn when I run out of firewood.
Joe from cornish maine. It says 'vacationland' on our license plates. I ain't had a vacation in 7 years.

Hey Bart, I thought that was chief Dan George all these years ...he's the same person that used to do the tear commercial while standing on a litter dump. So Lone Wattie is chief dan george? Bart you are too smart, just don't fart...or you'll blow this forum all apart

JPapiPE said:
O.K. Josie Wales buffs, was 10 Bears really a native american?

Bart? you seem to be the expert......

Will Sampson was a Creek Indian. Played in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest too.

To stay on topic I think he has burned wood sometime in his life too.

O.K. Bart, your are batting 1000. One last question and then we should lay this thread to rest.

What was the name of the weapons expert that taught josie Wales that trick with surrendering his revolvers butt first, but then flipped them around in a micro-second to shoot his arrestors?

No idea. I figured he learned it from the Roy Rogers TV show just like I did.

Japapipe,

I am talking to all the people I know telling them I am looking for wood. I have 4 cord split and almost stacked so now I am collecting for next year.

I know a person right in your area that is delivering green for $185/cord, I know you want seasoned but if you get stuck or need help with delivery I could try to work something out with these guys. Maybe they could help with delivery, if you connection doesn't repair his truck,I would help them load it. I would be willing to put my sweat into helping a fellow Mainer.

On another note, I have had a little luck grabbing blow downs here and there, also, I am looking into burning pine so if you hear of anyone with some cheap or even free pine give me a shout.

Good luck and I am dead serious, if you need help holler at me.

JPapiPE said:
Jeff I looked at the PB 150 and that thing is monster...does it also eat cookies?

If they put cookies in pellet form it will eat it :)

Yes it is a monster, but it needs to be. It will be heating my entire house (2000+ sf) and domestic hot water. At least it is lighter then the wood gasification units.

My wife and I talked and even if oil goes back to $3.00/gal or pellets spike to being equal with oil in price per btu, we will at least be lowering our carbon footprint. Don't get me wrong though, I would like to think/believe I will have a pay back in the next 5 years, but if I don't ~ oh well. My oil burner is old and would have needed to be replaced anyway.

TGun9590 said:
Japapipe,

I am talking to all the people I know telling them I am looking for wood. I have 4 cord split and almost stacked so now I am collecting for next year.

I know a person right in your area that is delivering green for $185/cord, I know you want seasoned but if you get stuck or need help with delivery I could try to work something out with these guys. Maybe they could help with delivery, if you connection doesn't repair his truck,I would help them load it. I would be willing to put my sweat into helping a fellow Mainer.

On another note, I have had a little luck grabbing blow downs here and there, also, I am looking into burning pine so if you hear of anyone with some cheap or even free pine give me a shout.

Good luck and I am dead serious, if you need help holler at me.

From Uncle Henry's: Free For The Taking

Large number of pine logs, 3-4 foot lengths, available for the taking. Come and take as many as you want. Pretty close to road. Biddeford, ME

Contact Information
Call 207-284-7874

Thanks Sinnian,

I have been calling this guy everyday, he wont return my calls. Maybe he's real busy but I suspect that all the wood is gone :down:

That's the thing I hate about Uncle Henry's, they don't post a date and time that the add was run. I know the printed book comes out on thursday but the online adds seem to show up any time :-S

I waited all day yesterday for my 4 cords of wood to be delivered and still the guy's truck is in the shop. He called last night to tell me he had my 4 cords set aside and would try to do it today. I had found this seller on Craig's List and he is not listed in the phone book. I did get his phone number from my caller ID and tryed to call him back to ask if he was bringing the wood in separate loads as he will have to dump it in my driveway because my house is surrounded by a fence. I guess i talked to his wife or daughter and she said he was the other line and that he would call me back, but he never did.

I guess this is all part of the process of burning wood...never knowing if your wood guy is going to show up

I have had the same experience with a local dealer here. Put it this way, I put my order in for 3 cord log length in April. They stated that they would deliver in May. May came and went, no call no wood. So I called again the last week of May. They said they would deliver first week of June. That came and went. Called second week of June. said they would deliver early the following week. That came and went. Called that weekend. Said they would deliver last week in June.. Well guess what.! No wood yet!

Hey Adirondackwoodburner...I think May was a long time ago and that maybe this seller isn't trustworthy. My ploy is to call 3 sellers and order my 4 cords and whoever delivers first gets the prize. The rest I just wait for their call and tell them I already have made other arrangements.

yup, my brother in law has used him for 3 seasons now. decent wood when he gets it to you. but he has an outdoor boiler and likes to burn green wood

Not alone in your attempts to get wood. I have been waiting since April and no call. I have called him a couple of times and will call him again after the 4 of July to see what is happening. Almost tempted to call someone else too but will probably wait a while yet. I don't need it for a couple of years but would like to get it cut up so it can dry by that time. :)

I have seen other adds for truckloads of wood so if and when I get fed up or get the wood I will have someone else to call. Already decided to get a State wood permit this fall when cooler and the guy I cut with this spring will help me again. We split the wood between us and should easlily get another 4 cords each of oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.