Some may recall I had been toying with different ideas on how to store and easily retrieve the butts/end/knots that you inevitably end up with when processing. I am all for using as much as is realistically possible when it comes to the tree. I came up with the idea to load these pieces into burlap bags which I could stack on the pile along with the full length wood. Well after a year I checked in on the progress and see that all the burlap had broken down and would tear easily when tugged on. So, failure was the result. Fast forward 8 months or so and today I decide to dig into that part of the stack that has these bags. It so happens to be about dead center of my 30x30 stack. 2 pallets worth of these are there. I start to see very quickly that there is a much bigger problem than burlap failure. The burlap is holding moisture and the ends are a mess. Only resolve is to throw them all off to the side of the stack and junk them. No easy task since the stack is 5 feet tall. 90 minutes later and all the junk is out. No doubt had I not checked on this and left it alone, the rot would have penetrated much more than the ends. All surrounding wood was very, very wet. I left the 2 pallets empty for now. I think late March, early April I will restack them. For now I want as much air as possible getting to the surrounding wood. Late next week the cold returns and I will take the new machine and dump the ends into the woods. Dang, the time I spent putting all that wood into bags just to make mulch!