Ash..... a miracle wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little. sarcasm on my part.

I've got a small woodlot that I cut from that should sustain us as long I can keep cutiing ( I'm 62).

Some 12" dia ash targeted for this cutting season.

Borers are a nearing this area if they are not here already. If I see signs of the borer on a tree it will become a target.

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1325648158
And having been born and raised on a farm, we always cut our wood well ahead of time. Not so for the neighbors, but they were the ones with cold houses and had chimney fires. [/quote]

Great. For the record, our house was always warm as well and we never had a chimney fire! :)

tymbee said:
Backwoods Savage said:
And having been born and raised on a farm, we always cut our wood well ahead of time. Not so for the neighbors, but they were the ones with cold houses and had chimney fires.

Great. For the record, our house was always warm as well and we never had a chimney fire! :)
To bad my father couldn't say that. We had many fires in the masonry chimney but it was the one in the Selkirk Class A SS chimney that took the cake. Too bad he didn't have Ash to burn instead of all that Poplar.

TFDChief - IMHO one wants to cut Ash as soon as the EA Bore gets in the area because it will kill all of the decent trees quickly. The roots rot in 2 years of so then the woods are not safe in any kind of wind.

The large trees are killed first. Stuff of a foot and under will last a year or two longer. I'm just finishing up cutting about 7 acres of woods that was about 40% Ash, about a mile from the house. I will miss it when it's gone. Aim to be 4 years ahead by Spring.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
TFDChief - IMHO one wants to cut Ash as soon as the EA Bore gets in the area because it will kill all of the decent trees quickly. The roots rot in 2 years of so then the woods are not safe in any kind of wind.

The large trees are killed first. Stuff of a foot and under will last a year or two longer. I'm just finishing up cutting about 7 acres of woods that was about 40% Ash, about a mile from the house. I will miss it when it's gone. Aim to be 4 years ahead by Spring.

ATB,
Mike
Makes sense. We are watching them here in IL......advance has been slow.

zzr7ky said:

ATB,
Mike

Ash has been dead here for a few years. A few of the smaller ones have blown over, but what you really have to watch for
is the top limbs breaking out. Some off the wood is starting to turn punky now. I predict I have about 2 more years to
get it before it's not much good.

I have some ash css in September.
I would burn it if thats what I had.
I bet I could get it to start up in a cold stove better then the locust I have from last spring.
That stuff and a cold stove do not mix well.

Status
Not open for further replies.