Ash and Cherry...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Cut down some more Ash today (got a few trees last weekend, started a wood I.D. thread) and also some Cherry.

All the ash on my Buddies, Fathers property is dead. Also the Cherry was dead also. Gonna try and make every Sunday my day to go get a truckload. Took me a couple hours to get it all cut down, and bucked up, then brought up to my truck (over a half mile back from the truck amd trailer).

Im already ahead. But its free and he has marked dozens of Ash trees for me to take. Also have a Large load of logs coming Wednesday of this week. They should have been here already. But.... He is having problems. Plan on selling some wood this year. I sold almost 2 cord last year. This year will be a little more. I'm already pretty far ahead and I have 2 family members that burn... I know what they burn if its from me. Feel much better that way.
Here is the Cherry. ;)
today1.jpg
The Ash....
today2.jpg
The bad Stihl 460 with new Dogs and Dual port Muffler

2012-04-15_12-51-53_519-1.jpg

Also last weeks work (posted in my Wood ID thread)

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 173
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 186
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 162
  • thorn1.jpg
    thorn1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 161
Nice saws. Nice wood.
Good pictures.
Can you extend the bed on ATV trailer where you could haul more?
Nice set up :)

No. I can bring a bigger trailer. But it has to get a little drier than it is now. I have to make several trips. Just to fill my truck!!

Sooooooo....how does the saw perform with that ported muffler? Pretty nice, huh?

Sooooooo....how does the saw perform with that ported muffler? Pretty nice, huh?
Cuts Like Butter... Words cant say how impressed I am with it!

And the sound??? !! Screams! !!

Im sure I would have been happy with the Husqvarna, but I am glad I got the 460. I'm "Stihl" smiling. ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like you have a nice place to gather your future btu's, how is the 460 running?

zap

Looks like you have a nice place to gather your future btu's, how is the 460 running?

zap
Running Awesome Zap...

What size bar do you run on your 660 (not milling, cutting firewood)? The 25" seems perfect for weight and balance. And for everyday cutting, its prob overkill. . But thinkin about getting a 28" or 32" for some Big Red Oaks. ;)

I just had the 28 inch bar on the 660 when I felled the topped off White Pine I'm milling, most of my trees I cut the 20 inch handles it just fine. When I'm cutting firewood the 310 & 390 go in the back of the Rhino, the 660 is used mainly for milling and the bigger trees if Mother Nature puts one on the ground.

The bars I have are the 16,18,20,22 not sure why, 28 and the 36 for milling. Last year about this time I first used the 660 with a 16 inch bar, talk about fun. ::-)

Zap

I just had the 28 inch bar on the 660 when I felled the topped off White Pine I'm milling, most of my trees I cut the 20 inch handles it just fine. When I'm cutting firewood the 310 & 390 go in the back of the Rhino, the 660 is used mainly for milling and the bigger trees if Mother Nature puts one on the ground.

The bars I have are the 16,18,20,22 not sure why, 28 and the 36 for milling. Last year about this time I first used the 660 with a 16 inch bar, talk about fun. ::-)

Zap
Dexter good job,I really enjoy doing exactly what you're doing.But I'm going to feel bad getting this muddied up.Keep up the good work.atv.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
..............Last year about this time I first used the 660 with a 16 inch bar, talk about fun. ::-)

Zap

Wow.... That had to be Fun!! Thinkin about putting an 18" on my 460 ;)

Im sure that 660 was a Smokin Fast Saw like that! !!

Nice pics.

which husky is in that first pic?

Nice pics.

which husky is in that first pic?

Its my 455 Rancher...

Its my standard go to Saw for "Dirty" Wood. Probably all the saw that most wood burner would ever need! I still use it a lot. I thought about parting with it. But I know I will miss it. Also helps keep the Stihls from getting abused. ;)

But having bigger, better, and faster, is always nice.

Started Splittin a little today. My Sons baseball practice is in 30 minutes. So we only got a little done....

The wind is howling today. The Gusts have to be getting close to 40-50 MPH. 2012-04-16_18-15-24_255.jpg

Ash and cherry. Nice wood. Looks like you might be building some more new racks Dexter. Also looks like it might be a bit wet where you cut. Having a trailer with wider tires really helps with that.

Your trailer is nice Dennis.... Im looking at one like Zap's Poly Cart at TSC.

But I just bought a new Mower (74" Dixie Chopper Zero Turn/Big and Bad Motha!) and my MS 460 and a new Pellet stove for upstairs, in the dining room. So Mama has my spending cut off currently ;)

As for the racks. I bought 6 more bracket kits. Just have to build them...

Where I have been cutting is on the edge of the fields. But the Cherry tree was standing dead and caught my eye ;) So I had to get a little muddy....

Attachments

• 2012-04-14_21-57-13_745.jpg
    2012-04-14_21-57-13_745.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 128
  • ResizedImage951333580872276.jpg
    ResizedImage951333580872276.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 195
Way to go on that 460 DD, I'm still lookin for one. Now about that bar on those tiny little trees.......I'd get an 18" bar with an 8 or even 9 pin rim & let em have it. Little easier to keep the bar nose away from things that cause kickback too. OTH, that saw looks good with the long bar. A C

PS Awesome job on all the firewood too, if my place looked as neat as your's does, my wife drive right past thinking it was somebody else's house.

Yeah.... Takes a lot to keep up with the yard. But thats why I got the Dixie Chopper. My Cub Cadet (52" and 8-9 MPH) took almost 4 hrs to cut what it takes the Chopper (74" and 17 MPH) an hour to do......index-37.jpeg 2012-04-01_13-12-55_317.jpg 2012-04-01_12-54-32_414.jpg

Cool set up.
If that yard had some trees it would take you 8 hours to cut.

Looks like a great place to dry wood.

Hey Dex, hows the cut @ 17MPH? Got a close up? I'm a maniac for deck-leveling/cut-quality myself but that comes from my time on a golf course.

Hey Dex, hows the cut @ 17MPH? Got a close up? I'm a maniac for deck-leveling/cut-quality myself but that comes from my time on a golf course.
Its better than one would think... The deck is held up by Large Drive Chains. I will snap some pics later.

On a side note, I am going to rent a roller. One for doing an asphalt driveway. A simple 800 lb roller aint cuttin it. I need something that drives itself and weights about a ton, or better. Still some rough spots in the yard. I recommend wearing the provided seatbelt... When doing 17 MPH ;)

You need a vibe roller. Your neighbors will loooove you. :eek: >>

What size are those tires? 26" Tires ride a helluva lot better than 22-24's

Status
Not open for further replies.