ash and fiskars 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
was busting some ash...and i got my maul stuck pretty good...so i went and grabbed the fiskars x27 which i have had for a year and never used.....wow..man i will be using the fiskars alot more now...i know its ash..but man it did just as good as job if not better than my maul...and i got half the workout......i am now a fiskars fan

Yeah, I "re-discovered" the Fiskars recently. If the wood starts to split, it goes through nicely. Sometimes you need the additional mass and wider wedge of a maul if the Fiskars wants to bounce off or get stuck.

This thing is handy, too..."wedge on a stick." I've since replaced the handle. ==c
004.jpg

I decided the same thing when I started using a fiskars

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Steeltown, it is very difficult to get a splitting maul stuck in an ash. However, the angle you tried to split it was perhaps most of the cause.

backwoods i agree, but this piece of ash was very very tough...it was even a big job for the sledge and wedge

Well, we even get one occasionally when using the hydraulics.

Sounds like you were busting your ash Steel.

was busting some ash...and i got my maul stuck pretty good...so i went and grabbed the fiskars x27 which i have had for a year and never used.....wow..man i will be using the fiskars alot more now...i know its ash..but man it did just as good as job if not better than my maul...and i got half the workout......i am now a fiskars fan

I'm just the opposite, I start out with the x27, when I can't break through, I turn to the maul, if that still doesn't work I get his little buddy the wedge in on the action and the job gets done...

I have my wife give it some dirty looks. It gets scared and almost splits itself then! :rolleyes:

That wife of yours must be out stacking that wood you just finished splitting or she would be giving you some dirty looks with that post brother.:)

She hasn't read it yet....

I scored an ashload of ash when my neighbor took down a truly huge one. I didn't let my wife scowl at it, I was afraid she'd turn it into chips. ;) I too started with my maul and then realized the ax was quicker... Until I ran into the problem that I always seem to with "neighborhood" wood. I set up a seemingly normal round only to to have the ax just sink into it and then the maul bounce off! After I work on it a bit, the problem presents itself, a trimmed branch that has healed over is buried in the middle. I ran into about 15 to 20 of these while working the ash and then another 15 to 20 while working on the sugar maple my other neighbor was inspired to take down. (If you're reading between the lines, yes I'm one lucky SOB. The ash came down about 30 feet from the front of my driveway and the maple was bucked by the tree co. in my backyard.)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It is funny when splitting with the hydraulics and sometimes there is a knot. It will do lots of creaking while splitting and even with hearing protection it can be quite loud. Sounds like you've had some good luck and will love the maple.

here is some maple with a x27

269868_10151370236376922_1689026939_n.jpg
Nice stuff, when I burn mine in the outdoor fireplace, you can smell the maple, just like you were in front of syrup...

Love the fiskars 27. It splits Locust like butter too.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Status
Not open for further replies.